Probability and expectation values

In summary, the conversation discussed an integration problem involving a semi-circle and trigonometric functions. The problem was caused by only considering half of the possibilities, leading to a factor of 2 being needed in the integration. This was due to the mathematical relation for trigonometric functions and the exclusion of negative values.
mathman44

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I have that [tex]p(\theta)d\theta = \frac{1}{\pi}d\theta[/tex], this is definitely correct.

Also y=r*sin(theta) so dy=r*cos(theta)*d(theta).

Substituting d(theta) in above and simplifying, I have:

[tex] p(y)dy = \frac{1}{pi} \frac{dy}{\sqrt{r^2-y^2}} [/tex]

The problem is, integrating this from y=0 to y=r, I obtain 1/2, and not 1, as expected. I don't understand why this is... anyone?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not totally sure, but I think the problem is that in your integration your considering only half of the posibilities, I mean, you are only considering one half of the semi circle that can be described by the needle.

The min and max angles are \pi and 0. since y=r sin(\theta), you have y=0 for theta=0 or pi. This means that, when integrating between 0 and r, you need to multiply by a factor 2 to consider the whole spectrum.

Hope it helps...

Thanks, I thought exactly what you wrote. Still, is there any reason mathematically why this is so? When I do the same problem, but for the x-projection, this isn't an issue since the integration runs from -r to r.

Yes... the mathemathical reason is that the satisfied relation for trigonometric functions is [itex]\cos^2(\theta)=1-\sin^2(\theta)[/itex], but when you replace [itex]\cos(\theta)=\sqrt{1-\sin^2(theta)}[/itex] you are leaving out all negative values of cos(theta), i.e. all angles between pi/2 and pi... and so... you are considering only half of the posibilities.

Perfect. Thanks!

1. What is probability?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood that an event will occur. It is represented as a number between 0 and 1, with 0 indicating impossibility and 1 indicating certainty.

2. How is probability calculated?

The probability of an event is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This is known as the classical definition of probability.

3. What is an expectation value?

An expectation value, also known as an expected value, is the average value that we expect to obtain from a random experiment or process. It is calculated by multiplying each possible outcome by its probability and summing the results.

4. How is the concept of probability used in science?

Probability is used in science to make predictions about the likelihood of certain events occurring, to analyze data and draw conclusions, and to model and understand complex systems.

5. Can probability be used to guarantee a certain outcome?

No, probability does not guarantee a specific outcome. It only provides a measure of likelihood based on available information. Other factors, such as chance and external influences, can impact the actual outcome.