1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability and expectation values

1. Sep 19, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

I have that [tex]p(\theta)d\theta = \frac{1}{\pi}d\theta[/tex], this is definitely correct.

Also y=r*sin(theta) so dy=r*cos(theta)*d(theta).

Substituting d(theta) in above and simplifying, I have:

[tex] p(y)dy = \frac{1}{pi} \frac{dy}{\sqrt{r^2-y^2}} [/tex]

The problem is, integrating this from y=0 to y=r, I obtain 1/2, and not 1, as expected. I don't understand why this is.... anyone?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2011 #2
    I'm not totally sure, but I think the problem is that in your integration your considering only half of the posibilities, I mean, you are only considering one half of the semi circle that can be described by the needle.

The min and max angles are \pi and 0. since y=r sin(\theta), you have y=0 for theta=0 or pi. This means that, when integrating between 0 and r, you need to multiply by a factor 2 to consider the whole spectrum.

Hope it helps...

4. Sep 19, 2011 #3
    Thanks, I thought exactly what you wrote. Still, is there any reason mathematically why this is so? When I do the same problem, but for the x-projection, this isn't an issue since the integration runs from -r to r.

5. Sep 19, 2011 #4
    Yes... the mathemathical reason is that the satisfied relation for trigonometric functions is [itex]\cos^2(\theta)=1-\sin^2(\theta)[/itex], but when you replace [itex]\cos(\theta)=\sqrt{1-\sin^2(theta)}[/itex] you are leaving out all negative values of cos(theta), i.e. all angles between pi/2 and pi.... and so... you are considering only half of the posibilities.

6. Sep 19, 2011 #5
    Perfect. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook