Probability & MATLAB for Electrical Engineers

In summary, a fellow electrical engineer is seeking help with calculating and testing probability in MATLAB for their course on theory of information. They have a basic understanding of probability but need guidance in applying it to MATLAB. They are asking for recommendations on where to find resources for probability functions and their use in MATLAB.
Bassalisk
Hello fellow electrical engineers!

I have a course, theory of information. Among other things, we are taught to translate probability into MATLAB and test it out.

Thing is, we don't have a lot to work from. I have to figure out myself how to calculate probability and test it out in matlab.

I know some basics, rand, randn etc. But that is not enough.

Can somebody point me to the right section of this forum, where I can ask questions like this.
I posted some in homework sections, but its not homework. I need somebody with knowledge of MATLAB and probability functions, and probability in general in MATLAB.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume you know the basics of probability. If you don't what's a random variable or a probability density function, you should study it.
this link contains some examples of plotting pdfs using matlab: http://128.59.61.91/lectures/matlab10/page2.html

Last edited by a moderator:
TomBombadil said:
I assume you know the basics of probability. If you don't what is a random variable or a probability density function is, you should study it.
this link contains some examples of plotting pdfs using matlab: http://128.59.61.91/lectures/matlab10/page2.html

I do, we do that. But translating that to MATLAB and all is giving me a headache. All those tests, experiments etc etc. I need a good source to tie that with matlab.

But thanks for the link, I will check it out.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is probability and how does it relate to electrical engineering?

Probability is the measure of the likelihood of an event occurring. In electrical engineering, probability is used to analyze and predict the behavior of electrical systems and components, as well as to assess the reliability of these systems.

2. How can MATLAB be used to solve probability problems in electrical engineering?

MATLAB is a powerful software tool that allows for the manipulation of data and the implementation of complex mathematical algorithms. In the context of electrical engineering, MATLAB can be used to simulate and analyze various probability scenarios, making it a valuable tool for solving probability problems.

3. Can probability be used to improve the design of electrical systems?

Yes, probability can be used to optimize the design of electrical systems. By analyzing the probability of different outcomes and failure modes, engineers can make informed decisions about the design and components of a system to improve its reliability and performance.

4. Are there any specific applications of probability in electrical engineering?

Yes, probability is used in various applications in electrical engineering, such as risk analysis, reliability engineering, signal processing, and control systems. It is also used in the design and testing of communication systems, power systems, and electronic devices.

5. How can I improve my understanding of probability and MATLAB for electrical engineering?

The best way to improve your understanding of probability and MATLAB for electrical engineering is through practice and experimentation. You can also refer to textbooks, online resources, and seek guidance from experienced professionals in the field.