Split Prize Money for Head & Tails Game: 6 Wins vs 4 Wins Ratio

In summary, the conversation is about a game of Head & Tails between 2 people, where the first one to 8 wins is declared the winner. The question is if the game is interrupted when one person has 6 wins and the other has 4 wins, how should the prize money be split? The conversation then moves on to discussing the probability of a coin being tossed and landing on all tails, and the probability of a coin being tossed 5 times with 1 head and 4 tails, with the head not being the last toss. The conversation ends with discussing how to calculate the probability of all the possible outcomes in this scenario.
h0llow

Homework Statement

Game of Head & Tails between 2 people. The first one to 8 is the winner. If the game is interrupted: when one person has 6 wins and the other has 4 wins, how should the prize money be split?

2. The attempt at a solution

The obvious answer (at first) i got is 3:2
But it just seems too easy.. i think the part 8 wins should fit in somewhere but i have no idea how =/.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi h0llow! welcome to pf! :smile:
h0llow said:
Game of Head & Tails between 2 people. The first one to 8 is the winner. If the game is interrupted: when one person has 6 wins and the other has 4 wins, how should the prize money be split?

if the game was interrupted just long enough to place bets on it,

what should the odds be? :wink:

assuming it was 100$... person with 6 wins would have 75% chance of winning? and the other would have 50% chance..but if add 75+50 it adds up more than 100 =/

h0llow said:
... person with 6 wins would have 75% chance of winning? and the other would have 50% chance..

you mean, because 6 is 75% of 8, and 4 is 50% of 8 ?

no!

work out the probability that (starting from 0-0) there are 2 heads before there are 4 tails :smile:

huh 0_o? can u rephrase that please =/?

if you keep tossing a coin,

work out the probability that (starting from 0-0)

the 2nd head comes before the 4th tail​

(or, if you prefer the opposite, that the 4th tail comes when there are only 0 heads or 1 head)

considering there's a 50% chance..during each toss.. 2nd head has 25% chance? and 4th tail has 6.25% chance?

h0llow said:
considering there's a 50% chance..during each toss.. 2nd head has 25% chance? and 4th tail has 6.25% chance?

You need to account for the fact that there might not be a second head at all. Just "guessing" does not work in problems of this type; you need to write things down in detail.

Also: the answer will depend quite a bit on whether the two-heads player tosses first or second.

RGV

h0llow said:

sorry, but that's no way to solve this :redface:

try these

what is the probability that a coin tossed 4 times will come out all tails?

what is the probability that a coin tossed 5 times will come out 1 head and 4 tails, and that the head isn't the last one?​

(I) 0.5 X 0.5 X 0.5 X 0.5 = 6.25% (1/2 chance it is tail)
(ii) 3.125%?? (im not sure how exactly to do it)

tiny-tim said:
what is the probability that a coin tossed 4 times will come out all tails?​

h0llow said:
(I) 0.5 X 0.5 X 0.5 X 0.5 = 6.25% (1/2 chance it is tail)

yes :smile:
what is the probability that a coin tossed 5 times will come out 1 head and 4 tails, and that the head isn't the last one?​
(ii) 3.125%?? (im not sure how exactly to do it)

write out all the possible combinations

0.5 x 0.5 x 0.5 x 0.5 x 0.5??

h0llow said:
0.5 x 0.5 x 0.5 x 0.5 x 0.5??

Don't keep guessing; that is no way to learn. As I said before: write things out in detail. By this, I mean: start enumerating some of the possibilities, until you see a pattern starting to emerge.

The outcome strings can be lists of H and T. If the two-head player (A) starts, then passes the coin to player B, etc., a string such as HHTHT means A gets H on the first toss, then B gets H on the second toss (that is, on B's first toss), the A gets T on the third toss (that is, on A's second toss), etc. Player A wins on his second toss if the outcomes are HHH or HTH. Player A wins on his third toss if the outcomes are HHTHH, HHTTH, HTTHH, HTTTH, THHHH, THHTH, TTHHH, TTHTH, etc. You need to figure out all the probabilities and add them up.

Then, you need to repeat this type of analysis if A goes second.

RGV

alright thank you

so i should write out all the 120 possibilities? (5!)

nvm.. i got it...can u tell me if i am right though?

TT THHT HHHH
HTT HTHT HTHHH
HHTT THHHT THHHH
HHHTT THTH HHTHH
THT HHTHT HHHTH

= 15 possibilities

chance player A (T) wins = 10/15 = 66.67%
chance player B (H) wins = 5/15 = 33.33%

am i right?

TT THHT HHHH
HTT HTHT HTHHH
HHTT THHHT THHHH
HHHTT THTH HHTHH
THT HHTHT HHHTH

= 15 possibilities

am i right?

hi h0llow! :smile:
h0llow said:

TT THHT HHHH
HTT HTHT HTHHH
HHTT THHHT THHHH
HHHTT THTH HHTHH
THT HHTHT HHHTH

= 15 possibilities

that looks right :smile:

no, because not all of them have equal probability

for example, the first one, TT actually is 8 times as likely as THHHH,

because it includes TTHHH TTHHT TTHTH TTHTT THTHH THTHT THTTH and THTTT :wink:

(which are all 5 long, so are all equally likely)

ok now try to think how to work out the likelihood of all the others! :smile:

EDIT: do the Ts look bolder than the Hs to you, or is it just my weird eyesight? :redface:

TT = 25% likely
TTHHH,etc.. = 3.125% likely (since there are 5(0.5^5))...X 8
HTT = 12.5%(0.5^3) X 2
HHTT = 6.25% X 4

everything adds up to 100% 0_o..what now..

the t's look fine :eek:

Last edited:
is the answer by any chance 81.25% and 18.75% splits in prize?

h0llow said:

TT THHT HHHH
HTT HTHT HTHHH
HHTT THHHT THHHH
HHHTT THTH HHTHH
THT HHTHT HHHTH

= 15 possibilities

am i right?

There are lots of other possibilities---infinitely many, in fact. So, we need a systematic way to approach the problem. Let us define two functions:
A(a,b) = probability that player A wins the game, given that A goes first and A must win a rounds before B wins b rounds,
and
B(a,b) = probability that A wins the game, given that B goes first and A must win a rounds before B wins b rounds.
Note that both refer to Mr. A winning; the different letters correspond to who starts.

If A starts and wins the round, the coin passes to B; at that point, B will be starting and A needs to win a-1 rounds before B wins b rounds. If A starts and loses the round, A passes the coin to B, at which point B starts and A must win a rounds before B wins b rounds. Thus
A(a,b) = (1/2)*B(a-1,b) + (1/2)*B(a,b).

Next, suppose B starts and A must win a rounds before B wins b rounds. If B wins the starting round, A starts next and must win a rounds before B wins b-1 rounds. If B loses, then A must win a before B wins b. Thus
B(a,b) = (1/2)*A(a,b-1) + (1/2)*A(a,b).

We can start with low values of a and b, and use these to get higher values (illustrated below). You want to compute A(6,4) and B(6,4), which are the probabilities that A will win, depending on who starts

What is A(1,1)? If A wins the first round he wins the game and B does not even get to play a round. This has prob = 1 /2. If A loses the first round, B starts next and must lose his first round, thus passing the coin back to A, and we are back to A(1,1) again. The probability of this is (1 /2)(1 /2) = 1/ 4. Therefore, A(1,1) = 1 /2 + (1/ 4)A(1,1), so A(1,1) = 2/3.

Similarly, B(1,1) = 1/3.

Where does the value A(1,1) = 2/3 come from? Well, when A starts and wins one round before B does, the possible outcomes are W (stop), LLW (stop) LLLLW (stop), LLLLLLW (stop) ,..., which has total probability
[tex] A(1,1) = \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{1}{4}\right) + \frac{1}{2} \left(\frac{1}{4}\right)^2 + \cdots\\
= \frac{1}{2} \left[ 1 + \left(\frac{1}{4}\right) +\left(\frac{1}{4}\right)^2 + \cdots \right]
= \frac{1}{2} \frac{1}{1 – (1/4)} = \frac{2}{3}.[/tex]
This accounts for infinitely many possible outcomes, but is still pretty simple.

Note that the above calculation is the same as what we would get if we used A(0,b) = B(0,b) = 1 for b > 0, and A(a,0) = B(a,0) = 0 for a > 0.

Anyway, you can now get A(2,1), B(2,1), A(1,2), B(1,2) and then A(2,2) and B(2,2). Then you can get even more values in a similar way. Just keep going until you arrive at A(6,4) and B(6,4). This will involve a lot of simple calculations; you could, for example, do it in a spreadsheet.

RGV

hi h0llow! :smile:

(just got up :zzz:)
h0llow said:
TT = 25% likely
TTHHH,etc.. = 3.125% likely (since there are 5(0.5^5))...X 8
HTT = 12.5%(0.5^3) X 2
HHTT = 6.25% X 4

everything adds up to 100% 0_o..what now..

the t's look fine :eek:
is the answer by any chance 81.25% and 18.75% splits in prize?

(that's 13/16 and 3/16) yes :smile:

let's go over that again, to see how you got there, and so that you can do it more quickly next time

(but first, please don't use % or decimals, it's much easier to use fractions such as 3/32 … and it's easier to check it afterwards, for mistakes! :wink:)

ok, the game can't last more than 5 tosses,

so there are only 25 = 32 possible equally-likely outcomes

so in this case you can just list all the winning outcomes, add them up and divide by 32 :smile:

(or, if that's quicker, list all the losing outcomes, add them up and divide by 32, and then subtract from 1 …

in this case, 4 "fives" = 4*1/32, 1 "four" = 1*1/16, total 6/32 = 3/16)

of course, if the question was more complicated, listing and counting would take too long :yuck:, and so you'd need to use the systematic methods illustrated by Ray!​

Likes 1 person

1. What is the purpose of splitting the prize money in a head & tails game with a 6 wins vs 4 wins ratio?

The purpose of splitting the prize money in a head & tails game with a 6 wins vs 4 wins ratio is to distribute the winnings fairly among the players. This ratio ensures that both players have an equal chance of winning the game and receiving a portion of the prize money.

2. How is the prize money calculated in a head & tails game with a 6 wins vs 4 wins ratio?

The prize money in a head & tails game with a 6 wins vs 4 wins ratio is usually calculated by dividing the total amount of money to be distributed by the number of wins required for each player to receive a portion of the prize. For example, if the total prize money is $100 and the ratio is 6 wins vs 4 wins, each win would be worth $10.

3. Can the ratio of 6 wins vs 4 wins be changed in a head & tails game?

Yes, the ratio of 6 wins vs 4 wins can be changed in a head & tails game. However, this should be agreed upon by all players before the game begins to ensure fairness and avoid any confusion or disputes.

4. What happens if one player wins all 6 rounds in a head & tails game with a 6 wins vs 4 wins ratio?

If one player wins all 6 rounds in a head & tails game with a 6 wins vs 4 wins ratio, they would typically receive a larger portion of the prize money compared to the other player. The exact amount would depend on the agreed upon ratio and the total prize money.

5. Is splitting the prize money in a head & tails game with a 6 wins vs 4 wins ratio a common practice?

Yes, splitting the prize money in a head & tails game with a 6 wins vs 4 wins ratio is a common practice. This ratio is often used in order to make the game more competitive and to ensure that both players have a chance to win. However, other ratios or no splitting of the prize money at all may also be used depending on the players' preferences.