Probability and set theory

In summary: Here's a couple of hints. -The sum of two series is a product of the series (assuming the series are differentiable).-The sum of two series is the sum of the terms in each series.
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Let X be a set containing n elements. If two subsets A and B of X are picked at random, the probability that A and B have the same number of elements is

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Total number of subsets possible is 2^n. Now the subsets containing 1 element=n. For 2 elements it is n(n-1). Similarly for n elements it is n!. Now A and B can belong to anyone of the above.

[itex]P=\dfrac{^nC_2+^{n(n-1)}C_2+^{n(n-1)(n-2)}C_2...+^{n!}C_2}{^{2^n}C_2}[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the probability that A has n elements? That both have n elements?

haruspex said:
What's the probability that A has n elements? That both have n elements?

The probability that A has n elements is 1/n. But I'm not sure.:confused:

utkarshakash said:
The probability that A has n elements is 1/n. But I'm not sure.:confused:
Sorry, I just realized I may have confused you by reusing n. I should have asked for the probability that A has, say, r elements. It isn't 1/r.
You have stated the total number of subsets, and they're all equally likely. How many have r elements?

haruspex said:
Sorry, I just realized I may have confused you by reusing n. I should have asked for the probability that A has, say, r elements. It isn't 1/r.
You have stated the total number of subsets, and they're all equally likely. How many have r elements?

nCr.

utkarshakash said:
nCr.
Right, so what is the probability that an arbitrary subset A has r elements? What is the probability that A and B each have r elements? Thus, what is the probability that A and B have the same number of elements?

haruspex said:
Right, so what is the probability that an arbitrary subset A has r elements? What is the probability that A and B each have r elements? Thus, what is the probability that A and B have the same number of elements?

The probability that A has r elements is nCr/2^n and the probability that A and B both have r elements is nCr*nCr/2^2n. Now I'll have to sum this as r varies from 0 to n. But I find this a bit difficult. I only know that 2^n=C0+C1+C2...Cn. But how do I get squares on the coefficients?

utkarshakash said:
The probability that A has r elements is nCr/2^n and the probability that A and B both have r elements is nCr*nCr/2^2n. Now I'll have to sum this as r varies from 0 to n. But I find this a bit difficult. I only know that 2^n=C0+C1+C2...Cn. But how do I get squares on the coefficients?
Here's a couple of hints.

Try doing that sum for a few small values of n. Do the numbers that result look familiar?

A sum like that can arise from multiplying together two series. E.g. suppose you multiply the expansions of (1+x)a and (1+x)b and collect up terms with the same power of x. Can you see how that would lead to sums of products of binomial coefficients? Can you find an a and b that would lead to a sum like the one we need to solve?

1. What is probability theory?

Probability theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of random events or phenomena. It is used to quantify the likelihood of an event occurring and to make predictions based on that likelihood.

2. What are the basic concepts of probability theory?

The basic concepts of probability theory include outcomes, events, sample space, and probability. Outcomes refer to the possible results of an experiment, events are a subset of outcomes, sample space is the set of all possible outcomes, and probability is the measure of the likelihood of an event occurring.

3. What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumptions, while experimental probability is based on actual observations or measurements. Theoretical probability can be used to make predictions, while experimental probability is used to analyze past or present data.

4. What is set theory?

Set theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of sets, which are collections of objects or elements. It provides a foundation for understanding how mathematical structures, such as numbers and functions, are organized and related to each other.

5. What are the basic operations in set theory?

The basic operations in set theory include union, intersection, complement, and Cartesian product. Union combines two sets to create a new set containing all elements from both sets, intersection creates a new set with elements that are common to both sets, complement creates a new set with elements that are not in the original set, and Cartesian product creates a new set with ordered pairs from two sets.