1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability and statistics

1. Sep 18, 2005 #1
    I'm not having much luck learning from the examples in my probability book, they only do the most of basic examples, I'm in need of some good examples and solutions, any ideas?

For example here is the problem I'm trying to work on
    A car rental agency has 18 compact cars and 12 mid-size cars, if 4 are randomly selected, what is the probability of getting two of each kind?

I'm not sure how to set up the equations
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2005 #2
    What have you tried, my friend? Just use the multiplication rule. :bugeye:
  4. Sep 18, 2005 #3
    sorry your reply didn't help
  5. Sep 18, 2005 #4
    What Have You Tried?
  6. Sep 18, 2005 #5
    Nvm, here we go. Let us assume that randomly selected means that each of the [itex]\binom{30}{4}[/itex] combinations is equally likely to be selected. Hence the desired proability equals
  7. Sep 18, 2005 #6
    That gives the correct results thank,
    my problem I'm still having a hard time following the logic behind picking the numbers to work with.

Here is another example from the book I can't find the logic
    If 3 of 20 tires are defective and 4 of them are picked randomly, what is the probability that only one of the defective one will be included.
    So I tried this
    this would give your total probability of receiving any number of bad tires right?
    But the book wants just one bad tire so they use
    this is the logic I can't follow, can you explain why they choose these numbers?
  8. Sep 19, 2005 #7
    Got one more lets say P(A|B) = .2 and I know P(B) to be .65, how can I solve for P(A)?
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2005
  9. Sep 19, 2005 #8
    There are totally 20 tires (17 proper and 3 defective).

Experiment 1: Pick one defective tire. One (exactly one) defective tire can be picked in [itex]\binom{3}{1}[/itex] different ways.

Experiment 2: Pick three proper tires. This can be done in [itex]\binom{17}{3}[/itex]
    Using the basic principle of counting we got [itex]\binom{3}{1}\binom{17}{3}[/itex] different ways to pick 1 defective and 3 proper tires among 20.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?