1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability and time

1. Apr 14, 2007 #1
    Hi

I posted the other day but I think I could have explained better what I am looking for, so hence this post.

I was wondering how you account for time when using a PDF to try and ascertain the probability of an event happening over very long periods of time?
    If I have a data series which is described by a distribution, say log-normal and I want to work out the proabability of x being greater than y happening say by 30 years ? I guess it is allied to asking to what happens if you are using the area under the curve to look at probabilities when the distribution might change shape substantially over a long sweep of time and could be better described by a different equation.

Would you use the Fokker-Planck equation in this instance ?

Many thanks
    D

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2007 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You could model the parameters of your distribution to be simple functions of time.

4. Apr 29, 2007 #3

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Or, you could define a metadistribution H(x) = w F(x) + (1-w) G(x) where 0 < w < 1 is a monotonic function of time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?