Probability and uncertainties

In summary: Your name]In summary, Niles is seeking to find the probability of a certain value for the parameter a in the equation y = ax2, given a set of data points (x, y) with an uncertainty of 1 in y. The uncertainty in y does not necessarily correspond to the uncertainty in a, so Bayesian statistics may be used to update the belief about the value of a based on the data.
Niles

Homework Statement

Hi all.

Lets say i have some data points (x, y) (we will call these data 'D'). There is no uncertainty in x, and the uncertainty in y is 1.

I believe t hat x and y are connected as y = ax2, and I want to find the probability of a having a certain value given the data D.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to find the probability of y having some specific value given some data points for y with an uncertainty. But in this case, x and y are connected by a. I thought that perhaps the relative unvertainty in y is the same for a?

Thanks in advance.

Niles.

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Niles,

Thank you for sharing your question with the community. It is always exciting to see scientists exploring new ideas and seeking answers to challenging problems.

Based on the information you provided, it seems that you are trying to determine the probability of a certain value for the parameter a in the equation y = ax2, given a set of data points (x, y) with an uncertainty of 1 in y. In this case, the relative uncertainty in y does not necessarily correspond to the uncertainty in a. This is because the uncertainty in y depends on both the uncertainty in a and the value of x. Therefore, in order to determine the probability of a given value for a, you will need to consider both the uncertainty in y and the relationship between a and x.

One approach you could take is to use Bayesian statistics, which allows you to update your belief about the value of a based on new data. In this case, your prior belief about the value of a could be based on previous knowledge or assumptions, and then updated with the new data points (x, y). This will give you a posterior distribution for a, which represents the probability of a taking on different values given the data D.

I hope this helps and wish you all the best in your research.

What is probability?

Probability is the measure of how likely an event is to occur. It is represented as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 means the event is impossible and 1 means the event is certain to occur.

How is probability calculated?

Probability is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. For example, if you roll a six-sided die, the probability of rolling a 3 would be 1/6, because there is only one favorable outcome out of six possible outcomes.

What are the different types of probabilities?

There are two main types of probabilities: theoretical and experimental. Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely. Experimental probability is based on actual data from experiments or observations.

What are uncertainties?

Uncertainties refer to the degree of doubt or lack of precision in a measurement or calculation. They can arise from limitations in measurement tools, human error, or the inherent randomness of certain events.

How are uncertainties represented?

Uncertainties are often represented as a range of values, rather than a single number, to account for the potential variability in a measurement or calculation. They can also be expressed as a percentage or decimal value, depending on the context.