Probability: Arrangements in Circle

In summary, there are 73 possible ways for ten children to arrange themselves in a circle if three particular children are not to be next to each other. This is calculated by placing one of the three children in any position, then continuing to place the remaining seven children with 7 possible choices for each child. This results in 73 choices so far. Then, depending on whether the fourth child placed is one of the three, the number of choices will either be 73*5*5*4*3*2*1 or 73*6*6*5*4*3*2*1. Adding all of the choices from each path together will give the total number of possible arrangements.
futb0l
Ten children are arranging themselves in a circle. Calculate the number of ways this can be done if three particular children are NOT to be next to each other.

I did it and got... 9! - 7!3!
However, I got it wrong on the test - I am pretty sure my method is correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
That bit about "three particular children are NOT to be next to each other complicates things!

Try this. Take one of the 3 "particular children" and place him/her wherever you like.
There are 9 children left to place but only 7 of those can be next to the one already place. There are 7 choices for the child to place to the left and 7 for the child to be place to the right: 7*7 possibilities so far. We have place three children and have 7 left. Now continue to the left (clockwise). Since the child just place is NOT one of the "terrible three", we can place any of the remaining 7 children there. That now gives 7*7*7= 73 choices.
We now have six children left to place but now it gets complicated. IF the child just placed was one of the trouble makers (I'm not sure WHY they can't be placed next to each other but they are certainly making trouble for us!) then only 5 of the remaining 6 can be placed next to him/her: 5 choices. On the other hand, if it was ot, then any of the 6 can be placed there. This breaks into two parts now:
73(5*... + 6*...) and we have to follow both "paths".
Assuming the fourth child placed was one of the three: we place one of the 5 that can be beside him/her and now we can place the remaining 5 children (including that one trouble maker) as we please (remember that we placed a "non-trouble maker" to the right of the first child so we won't "run into" that child) That gives a total number of choices of 73*5*5*4*3*2*1.
Assuming the fourth child was NOT one of the three, we can place any of the remaining 6 next to him/her (my head is starting to hurt!) . For this path, so far, we have 73*6*6 but now we have to "branch" depending upon whether this lastest child was one of the three.
I'm going to stop now. I think I have given you enough to work out the various "paths" neccessary. After you have worked out the number of choices on each "path", add them all together.

Your method is correct. The formula 9! - 7!3! is the correct way to calculate the number of arrangements in a circle if three particular children cannot be next to each other. It is important to note that the exclamation mark in this formula represents the factorial operation, which means multiplying all the numbers from that number down to 1. So, 9! means 9x8x7x6x5x4x3x2x1.

It is possible that you made a mistake in your calculations or missed a step, which is why you got the answer wrong on the test. It is always a good idea to double-check your work and make sure you have followed the correct steps in solving a problem. Also, make sure to pay attention to any specific instructions or restrictions given in the problem, as they can affect the final answer.

Overall, your understanding of the concept and your approach to solving the problem is correct. Keep practicing and double-checking your work, and you will continue to improve in probability calculations.

What is the concept of "Probability: Arrangements in Circle"?

The concept of "Probability: Arrangements in Circle" involves calculating the likelihood of a specific arrangement or combination of objects in a circle. This can be useful in various fields such as mathematics, statistics, and physics.

How is the probability of arrangements in a circle calculated?

The probability of arrangements in a circle is calculated by dividing the number of desired arrangements by the total number of possible arrangements. This can be represented by the formula P = n/N, where n is the number of desired arrangements and N is the total number of possible arrangements.

What are some examples of arrangements in a circle?

Some examples of arrangements in a circle include arranging objects on a circular table, arranging numbers or letters in a circular pattern, and arranging people in a circular formation for a group activity or game.

What is the difference between arrangements in a circle and arrangements in a line?

The main difference between arrangements in a circle and arrangements in a line is that in a circle, objects can be arranged in multiple directions and orientations, whereas in a line, they can only be arranged in a linear fashion. Additionally, the number of possible arrangements in a circle is often larger than the number of possible arrangements in a line.

How is "Probability: Arrangements in Circle" applicable in real life?

"Probability: Arrangements in Circle" can be applicable in real life situations such as seating arrangements at events, arranging objects on a circular plate or tray, and even in designing circular patterns for decoration or art. It can also be used in probability and statistics problems in various fields of study and research.