Calculating SAT Score Probability: Sample Mean vs Population Mean

• Thread starter yeungmei
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the probability of a random sample of 75 students providing a sample mean SAT score within a certain range of the population mean. The College Board American College Testing Program reported a population mean SAT score of 1020 with a standard deviation of 100. The conversation also mentions using a z (normal distribution) chart to extract information and calculating the standard deviation by dividing 100 by the square root of 75. The correct method for calculating the probability is to use the range divided by the standard deviation.
yeungmei
Please please help me, i totally forgot about Stat and now i have a question due tomm.

The College Board American College Testing Progam reproted a population mean SAT score of U=1020. Assume that the population standard deviation is O-100

a) what is the probability that a random sample of 75 students will provide a sample mean SAT score within 10 of the population mean?

b) what is the probability a random sample of 75 students will provide a sample mean SAT score within 20 of the population mean?

Please please help !

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know how to extract information from a z (normal distribution) chart?

I know u-1020 is the average also the centre point of a curve, where i should get o-100 devidied by square root of 75 to find the standard deviation.

so for a, should i uses 10 / the calculated SD to find the probability?

within 10 implies 10 points above or below the mean, so you would need to double any amount you found for the probability of finding the sample mean within 10 of the population mean from one side

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought it said within, so is it just use 10/SD to find?

10/SD isn't within, that's one direction (up OR down, not both)

Got it..Thanks ^__^

1. What is the difference between sample mean and population mean?

The sample mean is the average of a subset of data from a larger population, while the population mean is the average of all data in the entire population. Sample mean is used to estimate the population mean.

2. How can sample mean help in calculating SAT score probability?

Sample mean can be used to estimate the population mean of SAT scores, which can then be used to calculate the probability of obtaining a certain score on the SAT. This is because the sample mean is a good representation of the population mean.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of using sample mean to calculate SAT score probability?

The size of the sample and the representativeness of the sample are crucial factors that can affect the accuracy of using sample mean to calculate SAT score probability. A larger sample size and a more representative sample will result in a more accurate estimation of the population mean.

4. Can sample mean be used to calculate SAT score probability for an individual?

No, sample mean is used to estimate the population mean and is not specific to an individual. SAT score probability for an individual can be calculated using their own score and comparing it to the distribution of scores for the entire population.

5. Is there a formula for calculating SAT score probability using sample mean?

No, there is not a specific formula as it depends on the distribution of the sample mean and the population mean. However, the basic concept is to use the sample mean to estimate the population mean and then use that to calculate the probability of obtaining a certain score on the SAT.