Probability of Seeing a Sword in 5-Card Hand - 5 Times

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment where 5 cards are pulled from 5 decks, with one card from each deck. The cards are then replaced and the experiment is repeated 4 more times. The question is what is the probability of seeing a sword, or a spade, for the first time on the fifth trial. The probability of drawing a specific suit is 1/4, and the probability of not drawing it is 3/4. The conversation also discusses finding the probability of drawing a specific suit in a given hand.
ParisSpart
Repeat 5 times the following experiment:
Pull 5 cards of 5 common decks(52 cards each deck and one card from each),
note somewhere what hand pulled and repositioned every
cards in the deck from which we got.
What is the probability that we are going to see for first time a sword exactly the last time
we do the experiment?

first of all i found the N(Ω)=from 52 card we take 5 for five times but i can't find the N(A) any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
ParisSpart said:
Repeat 5 times the following experiment:
Pull 5 cards of 5 common decks(52 cards each deck and one card from each),
note somewhere what hand pulled
What do you mean by "what hand pulled"? The precise 5 cards?

and repositioned every
cards in the deck from which we got.
What is the probability that we are going to see for first time a sword exactly the last time
we do the experiment?

first of all i found the N(Ω)=from 52 card we take 5 for five times but i can't find the N(A) any ideas?
`
A "sword" is what I would call a "spade", right? It doesn't really matter- it just a matter of one suit not showing up until the fifth trial.
The probability of drawing a specific suite is 13/52= 1/4 and the probability of NOT drawing it is 1- 3/4= 1/4. In order NOT to have drawn a "sword" in the first four trials you must have drawn 16 consecutive "non-swords". Can you find that probability.

HallsofIvy said:
What do you mean by "what hand pulled"? The precise 5 cards?
As I read it, one experiment consists of pulling one card from each of five decks, producing a hand of five cards. The cards are replaced and the experiment repeated four more times, producing 5 hands in all. We want the probability that the last hand contains a spade, but no earlier hand does.
` The probability of drawing a specific suit is 13/52= 1/4 and the probability of NOT drawing it is 1- 3/4= 1/4.
You mean it's 1-1/4 = 3/4.
ParisSpart, what is the probability that a given hand contains no swords?

What is the probability of seeing a sword in a 5-card hand?

The probability of seeing a sword in a 5-card hand depends on the total number of swords in the deck and the total number of cards in the hand. If the deck contains 52 cards with 4 swords, the probability would be 4/52 or approximately 7.7%.

What is the probability of seeing a sword in a 5-card hand, given that 2 swords are already in the hand?

If 2 swords are already in the hand, the probability of seeing another sword would depend on the remaining cards in the deck. If there are 50 cards left in the deck with 2 swords, the probability would be 2/50 or approximately 4%.

Is the probability of seeing a sword in a 5-card hand affected by the order of the cards?

No, the probability of seeing a sword in a 5-card hand is not affected by the order of the cards. Each card has an equal chance of being drawn, regardless of its position in the hand.

What is the probability of seeing a sword in exactly 3 out of 5 cards in a hand?

The probability of seeing a sword in exactly 3 out of 5 cards in a hand can be calculated using the binomial probability formula. It would depend on the total number of swords in the deck, the total number of cards in the hand, and the desired number of swords.

How can we increase the probability of seeing a sword in a 5-card hand?

The probability of seeing a sword in a 5-card hand can be increased by increasing the number of swords in the deck or by decreasing the total number of cards in the hand. This would increase the overall likelihood of drawing a sword in the hand.