1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability (cdf question)

1. Dec 17, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] Probability (cdf question)

Here is the problem from the book
    Let X be a random variable with distribution function (cdf)

0 &\text{for } x\geq 0\\
    \frac{x}{8} & \text{for } 0 \leq x < 1\\
    \frac{1}{4} + \frac{x}{8} & \text{for } 1 \leq x < 2\\
    \frac{3}{4} + \frac{x}{12} & \text{for } 2 \leq x < 3\\
    1 & \text{for } x \geq 3\end{cases}

Calculate [tex]P(1 \leq X \leq 2)[/tex].

This should be a simple question, but I am getting a different answer than my book is, and I believe the book is wrong (how could I be wrong? :tongue2:).

Here is what I did:

P(1 \leq X \leq 2) & = P(1 \leq X < 2) \\
    & = P(X < 2) - P(X \leq 1) \\
    & = \frac{1}{4} + \frac{2}{8} - \left(\frac{1}{4} + \frac{1}{8}\right) \\
    & = \frac{1}{8}

We could also get the same answer by finding the pdf and then integrating it over the interval (1,2).

The book I have gives an answer of [tex]\frac{19}{24}[/tex].

Here is what they did:

P(1 \leq X \leq 2) & = P(X\leq 2) - P(X < 1) \\
    & = F(2) - \lim_{x\to 1^-}F(x) \\
    & = \frac{11}{12} - \frac{1}{8} \\
    & = \frac{19}{24}\\

In my opinion this seems doubly wrong. They used the wrong function on both, but at least they were consistent I suppose. Am I being silly here and missing something, or is the book wrong? Thanks!

edit... I am looking at my book, and they have [tex]P(a < X \leq b) = F(b) - F(a)[/tex]. Now I won't argue with this, but the way it is used in the above example seems completely counterintuitive to me. I will admit my use of the cdf may be dubious for P(X < 2), but it feels right. Maybe the book is right after all. Thoughts?
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There are two delta functions in your pdf as well as the continuous part. And they are both included in [1,2]. So P(1<X<2) is not equal to P(1<=X<=2).
  4. Dec 17, 2007 #3
    So you are saying we have a mixed distribution, and that at least one of P(X = 1), P(X = 2) is non-zero? So from looking at the graph of the cdf, I see that P(X = 1) is 1/4 and P(X = 2) is 5/12.

So if we take what I have, 1/8, and add the points I forgot we get 19/24 which is the book's answer. Thanks, I guess this problem was a little more complicated than I had originally thought.

I guess I should take a closer look at what the cdf actually looks like :redface:
  5. Dec 17, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, mind the discontinuities.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?