1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability: chances of winning

1. Sep 26, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a game where a player rolls 2 dice. The player looses if the sum of the dice of the first roll is 2, 3 or 12, and wins if the sum of the dice is 7 or 11. If the outcome of the first roll is 4, 5, 6, 8, 9 or 10, the player continues to roll the dice until the initial outcome is rolled again (player wins) or the 7 appears (the player looses).
    Find the probability of winning the game.

2. Relevant equations
    The probability of event E occurring on a sample space [tex]\Omega[/tex] is: P(E) = [tex]\frac{|E|}{|\Omega|}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    The size of the sample space is |[tex]\Omega[/tex]| = [tex]6 * 6 = 36[/tex], since we have two six-sided dice, so a total of 36 possible outcomes on a given throw.

I gather that if the player rolls a sum of 2, 3, or 12 on their first try, they automatically lose the game. Therefore, I let event [tex]E_{L}[/tex] denote the event that either of those sums is thrown. Therefore, [tex]E_{L}[/tex] is the set of all outcomes that result in one of those sums.

[tex]E_{L}[/tex] = { (1,1), (1,1), (2,1), (1,2), (6,6), (6,6) }
    |[tex]E_{L}[/tex]| = 6

Likewise, I let event [tex]E_{W}[/tex] denote that a player throws a 7 or 11 on their first try, meaning they automatically win.

[tex]E_{W}[/tex] = { (1,6), (6,1), (2,5), (5,2), (3,4), (4,3) }
    |[tex]E_{W}[/tex]| = 6

I also worked out the size of events [tex]E_{4}[/tex], [tex]E_{5}[/tex], [tex]E_{6}[/tex], [tex]E_{7}[/tex], [tex]E_{8}[/tex], [tex]E_{9}[/tex], [tex]E_{10}[/tex], where each subscript represents the number of outcomes that could lead to that sum being thrown. I got:

|[tex]E_{4}[/tex]| = 4
    |[tex]E_{5}[/tex]| = 4
    |[tex]E_{6}[/tex]| = 6
    |[tex]E_{7}[/tex]| = 6
    |[tex]E_{8}[/tex]| = 6
    |[tex]E_{9}[/tex]| = 4
    |[tex]E_{10}[/tex]| = 4

Ok, having that done, the chances of automatically winning the game by throwing a 7 or 11 initially are:
    P([tex]E_{W}[/tex]) = [tex]\frac{6}{36}[/tex]

This is where I am stuck, however. How do I handle the probabilities of winning by throwing a 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10 and then getting that same outcome again without getting a 7?
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted