Probability Chances that y>2x

In summary: Your name]In summary, the probability of y being greater than 2x when both x and y are chosen from the interval [0,1] is 12.5%. This can be calculated using the basic formula for probability and integration to find the area of the region where y>2x. The final answer is 1/8 or 0.125.
sciguy

Homework Statement

Two numbers are chosen, (x and y) both in the interval [0,1]
What is the probability that y>2x

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm new to all the probability stuff, so I'm still learning all the notation. So far, I know that if y is going to be greater than 2x, but still in the [0,1] range, then x must be in the range [0,.5]. I imagine the final probability would be (.5)*(?). I'm just not sure how you would find the (?). By intuition, I think it would be .5 as well, making the final answer .25, but I'm not sure why this is the case.

Thanks!
Jeremy

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Jeremy,

To find the probability in this scenario, we can use the basic formula for probability: P(A) = number of favorable outcomes / total number of outcomes. In this case, the total number of outcomes is infinite, since x and y can take on any value in the interval [0,1]. However, we can still use integration to find the probability.

First, let's set up the equation for y>2x in terms of x and y:
y > 2x
y - 2x > 0

Now, we can graph this equation in the x-y plane to visualize the region where y is greater than 2x. It would look like a triangle with vertices at (0,0), (0.5,0.5), and (0,1). This triangle represents all the possible outcomes where y is greater than 2x.

The total area of the square [0,1] x [0,1] is 1, so the probability of y>2x would be the area of the triangle divided by 1. To find the area of the triangle, we can use integration:

∫∫(y - 2x)dydx, where the limits of integration are x = [0,0.5] and y = [0,1].

Solving this integral, we get the final probability to be 1/8 or 0.125. This means that the chance of y being greater than 2x in this scenario is 12.5%.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is the meaning of "probability chances" in the context of "y>2x"?

The term "probability chances" refers to the likelihood or possibility of a certain event occurring. In this context, it represents the likelihood that the value of y will be greater than twice the value of x.

2. How is probability calculated for the event "y>2x"?

The probability of the event "y>2x" can be calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes (where y is greater than 2x) by the total number of possible outcomes. This can be expressed as a decimal or a percentage.

3. Can the probability of "y>2x" be greater than 1?

No, the probability of any event cannot be greater than 1. A probability of 1 means that the event is certain to occur, while a probability of 0 means that the event is impossible. Any value between 0 and 1 represents a likelihood or chance of the event occurring.

4. How does the relationship between y and x affect the probability of "y>2x"?

The relationship between y and x is essential in determining the probability of "y>2x". If y and x are closely related, the probability of y being greater than 2x may be higher. However, if y and x are not strongly related, the probability may be lower.

5. How can probability be used in real-life situations involving "y>2x"?

Probability can be used in various real-life situations involving "y>2x". For example, if you are trying to predict the probability of a certain stock price being higher than a certain value in the future, you can use the probability of "y>2x" to make an informed decision. Additionally, probability can also be used in fields such as finance, economics, and statistics to analyze and make predictions about various scenarios.