Probability change of random variables question

In summary: Let me know if you have any further questions or need clarification. Best of luck on your homework! Sincerely, [Your Name]In summary, to find the distribution function F_{Y} of Y, we can break down the definition of Y into four cases and use the definition of the distribution function. The resulting distribution function is F_{Y}(y) = {0 if y < 0, {F_{X}(\sqrt{y}) if 0 \leq y < 1, {0 if 1 \leq y < 4, and {1-F_{X}(4-\frac{y}{4}) if y \geq 4.
tomelwood

Homework Statement

I am trying to work out how to find the distribution function F[tex]_{Y}[/tex] of Y, a random variable given the distribution function F[tex]_{X}[/tex] of X and the way that Y is defined given X (see below).

Any pointers to get me started would be brilliant. I have done a similar question to this before, but can't see how to apply what I used there to this one, as previously I didn't start with F[tex]_{X}[/tex] , rather with P[tex]_{X}[/tex].

Homework Equations

F[tex]_{X}[/tex](x) = {0 if x<1
{ [tex]\frac{x+1}{10}[/tex] if 1[tex]\leq[/tex]x<[tex]\frac{3}{2}[/tex]
{[tex]\frac{1}{3}[/tex](x-[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex] if [tex]\frac{3}{2}[/tex][tex]\leq[/tex]x<[tex]\frac{5}{2}[/tex]
{1 if x[tex]\geq[/tex][tex]\frac{5}{2}[/tex]

and

Y = {X[tex]^{2}[/tex] if X<2
{4 if 2[tex]\leq[/tex]X<3
{4(4-X) if 3[tex]\leq[/tex]X<4
{0 if X[tex]\geq[/tex]4

The Attempt at a Solution

As I said, I'm not entirely sure.
Something has to be done to change it into P[tex]_{X}[/tex] I think. But I don't know how to do this.
Or should I differentiate F to get f, the density function?
But then what do I do?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks in advance.
[

Physics news on Phys.org
Your Name]

To find the distribution function F_{Y} of Y, we can use the definition of the distribution function as the probability that the random variable Y takes on a value less than or equal to a given number y. In this case, we can break down the definition of Y into four different cases, depending on the value of X.

Case 1: X < 1
In this case, Y = X^2. Therefore, for any y < 0, F_{Y}(y) = P(Y \leq y) = P(X^2 \leq y) = 0, since X^2 is always positive.

Case 2: 1 \leq X < \frac{3}{2}
In this case, Y = X^2. Therefore, for any y < 1, F_{Y}(y) = P(Y \leq y) = P(X^2 \leq y) = P(X \leq \sqrt{y}) = F_{X}(\sqrt{y}).

Case 3: \frac{3}{2} \leq X < \frac{5}{2}
In this case, Y = 4. Therefore, for any y < 4, F_{Y}(y) = P(Y \leq y) = P(4 \leq y) = 0, since Y is always equal to 4 in this range.

Case 4: X \geq \frac{5}{2}
In this case, Y = 4(4-X). Therefore, for any y < 4, F_{Y}(y) = P(Y \leq y) = P(4(4-X) \leq y) = P(X \geq 4-\frac{y}{4}) = 1-F_{X}(4-\frac{y}{4}).

Combining all four cases, we can write the distribution function F_{Y} as:

F_{Y}(y) = {0 if y < 0
{F_{X}(\sqrt{y}) if 0 \leq y < 1
{0 if 1 \leq y < 4
{1-F_{X}(4-\frac{y}{4}) if y \geq 4

I hope this helps you

1. What is probability change of random variables?

Probability change of random variables is a concept in statistics that refers to the likelihood of a particular outcome or event occurring when dealing with random variables. It involves calculating the chances or odds of a certain outcome happening based on the values of the variables involved.

2. How is probability change of random variables calculated?

The calculation of probability change of random variables involves using mathematical formulas and techniques, such as probability distributions, to determine the likelihood of different outcomes based on the values of the variables. These calculations can vary depending on the specific scenario and type of random variables being considered.

3. What is the importance of understanding probability change of random variables?

Understanding probability change of random variables is crucial in many fields, including finance, economics, and science. It allows us to make informed decisions and predictions based on the likelihood of certain outcomes occurring. It also helps us to quantify and manage risk in various situations.

4. Can probability change of random variables be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, probability change of random variables can be applied to real-world situations. For example, it can be used to predict stock market trends, estimate the likelihood of natural disasters, or determine the chances of a medical treatment being successful. It is a powerful tool that has many practical applications.

5. Are there any limitations to using probability change of random variables?

Like any statistical concept, there are limitations to using probability change of random variables. It relies on assumptions and simplifications that may not accurately reflect the complexity of real-world situations. It is also important to carefully consider the quality and quantity of data used in calculations to ensure accurate results.