1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability choose burger, please help

1. Dec 26, 2011 #1
    Here's the question:

A restaurant serves 8 burger, 12 steak, and 10 fried chicken. If the customer who comes to the restaurant is randomly chosen, calculate the probability of 2 from the next 4 customers will buy burger?

Thanks for helping me.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2011 #2
    You should check the forum guidelines first, there is a section for homework problems and before you get help you'll have to provide some working, what you know and we're you're getting stuck.

4. Dec 27, 2011 #3
    Yes, I know....but I don't know how to start doing this...

I try to calculate that the probability of choosing burger = 8/30

so, if there are 2 from 4 customer, probability to choose burger = 2/4 * 8/30 = 4/30 = 2/15.

I don't know it is right or wrong...

or maybe it needs combinatoric formula...

I don't know what I have to do...

5. Dec 27, 2011 #4
    Well if you know the probability that one person chooses a burger you need to add up all the different possibilities; first two people choose it and the next two don't, first and third people choose burgers and second and fourth don't etc...
    I believe a permutation formula might help you here.

6. Dec 27, 2011 #5
    Then, I calculate it like this:

there's 2 people going to get a burger, that's (8/30)(8/30).

Then the other 2 people would be non-burgers, so (22/30)(22/30).

Then times the possible ways two people could be the burger-buyers.

Use binomial:

4C2 x (8/30)^2 x (22/30)^2 = 22,945%

Is it right??

7. Dec 28, 2011 #6
    If four customers are randomly chosen, and the likelihood of ordering a burger is 8/30, then yes, there is approximately a 22.945% chance that two of the four ordered a burger. (I suppose I should mention that I used the binomial calculator on StatTrek.com to verify your calculation.)

8. Dec 28, 2011 #7
    Wait, doesn't the probability of the second customer buying a burger actually change depending on what the first person buys? If the first customer buys a burger, then there are only 7 burgers and 29 items of food remaining. Maybe it's actually a hypergeometric distribution.

9. Dec 28, 2011 #8

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I don't think so. The OP is not very clear on exactly what the problem is, but I believe that what he/she means is that a customer can choose from 8 different burger styles, not that there are just 8 burgers. And the same for the steak and chicken dishes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook