1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Probability: Circular Tables

1. Aug 29, 2010 #1

jgens

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

How many unique ways are there to arrange 5 people around a circular table?

2. Relevant equations

N/A

3. The attempt at a solution

This should be a pretty simple question, but I can't seem to focus on much of anything now, so I'm really not confident in my solution. I figured that if it were a straight line or something like that, then there would be 5! unique ways of arranging the people. However, since this is a round table, I guessed that ways of arranging individuals which were merely a rotation from another orientation shouldn't be counted more than once. Since there were five corners per se, I figured that only 1/5 of the original 5! ways of arranging people were actually unique; and thus, there would be 4! unique ways of arranging 5 people around a circular table.

I know that this reasoning isn't rigorous by any stretch of the imagination, but I was wondering if it is even correct (or if the answer is close to correct). Thanks for any feedback.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2010 #2
    think about how 5 people sit in a row. in circular shape, we can't exactly know the start point. So we Freeze one person and all other 4 people rotates, so you are actually in a right directions

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  4. Aug 30, 2010 #3

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Yes, you can seat one person anywhere on the table, leaving the other 4 to be seated as if that person were one end of a straight table. 4! is the correct ansswer.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook