Probability of Prevesh Paying Three Days in a Row: Coin Toss Lunch Break

In summary, the probability of getting heads on a single coin toss is 50%, on two consecutive coin tosses is 25%, and at least one heads in three coin tosses is 87.5%. There are eight possible outcomes for three coin tosses, and the probability of getting heads on a coin toss does not change over time. Each toss is an independent event with a probability of 50%.
Amy-Lee
Pravesh and Solly usually go to a coffee shop during their lunch break and toss a coin to see who will pay. The probability that Prevesh will pay three days in a row is

(1) 0.025
(2) 0.500
(3) 0.125
(4) 0.015

My attempt (I am not sure if this is right)

X= number of days that Prevesh will pay

x- P(x)
0 - 0.250
1 - 0.250
2 - 0.250
3 - 0.250

So I assume that the correct answer is (1)?

Physics news on Phys.org
i think since pravesh would have 1/2 chance of paying for a lunch on one day, you would have to multiply that by 3 and the odds become less for him to pay 3 times in a row therefore you would get 1/8 from 1/2 * 1/2 *1/2. Getting 0.125

Thank you

Master7731 said:
i think since pravesh would have 1/2 chance of paying for a lunch on one day, you would have to multiply that by 3 and the odds become less for him to pay 3 times in a row therefore you would get 1/8 from 1/2 * 1/2 *1/2. Getting 0.125

Please do not do the OP's homework for him. It is cheating, and not allowed here at the PF.

1. What is the probability of getting heads on a single coin toss?

The probability of getting heads on a single coin toss is 50%, or 1 in 2. This is because there are only two possible outcomes - heads or tails - and they are equally likely to occur.

2. What is the probability of getting tails on two consecutive coin tosses?

The probability of getting tails on two consecutive coin tosses is 25%, or 1 in 4. This is because there are four possible outcomes - heads-heads, heads-tails, tails-heads, and tails-tails - and only one of them is tails-tails.

3. How many possible outcomes are there for three coin tosses?

There are eight possible outcomes for three coin tosses - heads-heads-heads, heads-heads-tails, heads-tails-heads, heads-tails-tails, tails-heads-heads, tails-heads-tails, tails-tails-heads, and tails-tails-tails.

4. What is the probability of getting at least one heads in three coin tosses?

The probability of getting at least one heads in three coin tosses is 87.5%, or 7 in 8. This is because there are eight possible outcomes and only one of them is all tails (tails-tails-tails).

5. Can the probability of getting heads on a coin toss change over time?

No, the probability of getting heads on a coin toss remains the same over time. Each coin toss is an independent event and the probability is always 50%. This means that past outcomes do not affect future outcomes.