Probability density function via its characteristic help

In summary, a probability density function (PDF) is a mathematical function that describes the probability distribution of a continuous random variable. The characteristic function is used to derive the PDF, and the probability of a specific outcome is represented by the area under the PDF curve. Discrete and continuous PDFs are used for different types of random variables, and the PDF is an important tool in statistical analysis for calculating probabilities and determining the likelihood of different outcomes.
perukas
Hi there,
This is my first post...
and be kind on my english please...:)

So here is a problem i cannot solve...I can't reach to something satifactory
your ideas would be very helpful

Homework Statement

The probability density function f×(x) of the random variable X is zero when x<α, α>0.
Its characteristic function is Φ(ω).
Prove than if you know only the real part the characteristic Φ(ω) it is possible to find f×(x).
Is that possible when α<0?

Homework Equations

So I know that the characteristic function is:

Φ(ω)=∫ejωx*f×(x)dx

The Attempt at a Solution

So we know that ejωx= cos(ωχ)+j*sin(ωx)

and Φ(ω)=∫[cos(ωx)+j*sin(ωx)]f×(x)dx

and the real part of the charcteristic is Re(Φ)=∫cos(ωx)*fx(x)dx...

and I now that fx(x) is the inverse Fourier transformation of the characteristic:
fx(x)=(1/2π)∫e-jωχ*Φ(ω)dω

and e-jωx=cos(ωx)-jsin(ωx)

so:
fx(x)=(1/2π)*∫cos(ωx)Φ(ω)dω - (1/2π)j∫sin(ωx)Φ(ω)dω
but we need to show that we can find the pdf via the Real part of its characteristic:

so (1/2π)∫cos(ωx)Φ(ω)dω=...

so can I go on from here?

Thanks in advance,
sorry for my english again..
this is a very nice forum

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello and welcome to the forum! Your English is perfectly fine, don't worry about it.

To solve this problem, we can use the fact that the characteristic function uniquely determines the probability distribution function. This means that if we know the characteristic function, we can find the probability distribution function. However, we need to make sure that the characteristic function is well-defined and that it satisfies certain properties.

First, we need to show that the characteristic function is continuous. This means that as ω approaches 0, Φ(ω) approaches 1. This is because as ω approaches 0, the integral of e^jωx becomes the integral of 1, which is just x. Since the probability distribution function must integrate to 1, the characteristic function must approach 1 as ω approaches 0.

Next, we need to show that the characteristic function is bounded. This means that for any value of ω, Φ(ω) must be finite. This is because the integral of e^jωx is always bounded, and the probability distribution function must integrate to 1.

Once we have shown that the characteristic function is continuous and bounded, we can use the inverse Fourier transform to find the probability distribution function. This is because the inverse Fourier transform is well-defined for continuous and bounded functions. So, yes, you can continue from where you left off and use the inverse Fourier transform to find the probability distribution function.

As for the case where α<0, we can still use the same method, but the resulting probability distribution function may not be valid for all values of x. This is because the probability density function is only defined for x≥α, so for α<0, we may need to adjust the resulting probability distribution function to account for this restriction.

I hope this helps and good luck on your problem!

1. What is a probability density function (PDF)?

A probability density function (PDF) is a mathematical function that describes the probability distribution of a continuous random variable. It gives the relative likelihood of a random variable taking on a specific value within a given range of values.

2. What is the role of the characteristic function in determining the PDF?

The characteristic function is a mathematical function that provides a complete description of the probability distribution of a random variable. It is used to derive the PDF by taking the inverse Fourier transform of the characteristic function.

3. How is the PDF related to the probability of a specific outcome?

The probability of a random variable taking on a specific value is equal to the area under the PDF curve at that point. In other words, the PDF represents the probability of a random variable falling within a certain range of values.

4. What is the difference between a discrete and continuous PDF?

A discrete PDF is used for discrete random variables, where the possible values are countable and distinct. A continuous PDF is used for continuous random variables, where the possible values are uncountable and can take on any value within a given range.

5. How is the PDF used in statistical analysis?

The PDF is an important tool in statistical analysis as it allows for the calculation of probabilities and the determination of the likelihood of different outcomes. It is used in various statistical methods such as hypothesis testing, confidence intervals, and regression analysis.