1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability Density Function

1. Mar 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

F(x)=k(1-1/x2), 1[itex]\leq[/itex]x<2

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

How do I get the probability density function here? Simply take the derivative of this function ?

1[itex]\int[/itex]2 = k(1-1/x2)

Supposed to be 1 at the bottom and two at the top.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You want to find a value of k so that the integral of your function over [1,2) is equal to 1.

4. Mar 5, 2012 #3
    Well, it says specify the probability density function. So I'm guessing just show it, don't solve it. But I don't get what you mean, though. Solve for k and that needs to be equal to 1 then?

5. Mar 5, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A probability density function need to have integral 1 over it's domain. Integrate your function from 1 to 2 factoring the k out. Then set the result equal to 1. Find k.

6. Mar 5, 2012 #5
    Well, but in my post it already was 1 and 2. Ok, then factor the k out.

Do you mean like this?

k∫(1-...)dx=1

7. Mar 5, 2012 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If F(x) is supposed to be the CDF, you need to find the value of k that makes that true. Then you differentiate to find the PDF. If F(x) is supposed to be a PDF, you need to integrate and equate that to 1, to find k. It is not clear which is the case.

RGV

8. Mar 5, 2012 #7
    F(x) is the distribution function for a continuous random variable. Sorry, guess I forgot to mention it.

9. Mar 5, 2012 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ray Vickson is right. If F(x) is a cumulative distribution function, then you want to determine k by setting F(2)=1. Then differentiate to find the probability density function. I had thought it was the probability density function, in which case the procedure you outlined in post 5 is correct.

10. Mar 6, 2012 #9

Thanks. But why 2? Why not also 1 ? And why does it have to equal one again?

11. Mar 6, 2012 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

12. Mar 6, 2012 #11
    Ok, so I just plug in 2 for x but I still use 1 and 2 when I take the integral, so the domain stays the same.

13. Mar 6, 2012 #12

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't understand why you want to integrate anything. Somebody has already done the integration [itex]\int_1^x f(t) dt [/itex] for you, and their answer is F(x). All you need to do is find the right value of k.

RGV

14. Mar 6, 2012 #13
    Because that's what the book says I have to do to get the probability density function..

15. Mar 6, 2012 #14

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How do you get the density function f(x) from the CDF F(x)?

RGV

16. Mar 6, 2012 #15
    I don't know.

17. Mar 6, 2012 #16

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is so basic, so if you don't know it there is something seriously wrong. My recommendation: quit the course now, you have no chance of passing.

RGV

18. Mar 7, 2012 #17

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You said, in your very first post,
    Yes! What everyone was telling you before was how to find k so that you know what the cumulative function is.

19. Mar 7, 2012 #18

You have been extremely arrogant. If you don't have anything meaningful to say, then just don't say anything. You are not helpful or contributing anything. You are the most arrogant poster I have seen on here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook