Possible webpage title: Solving for eABC/2 in a Probability Density Function

In summary, the conversation discusses a probability density function that is defined by a fraction with variables D and E, a dot product, and constants e, A, B, and C. The question is raised about how to handle the term eABC/2, which is essentially a 5x1 matrix divided by 2. The solution is suggested to be a dot product of A with BC, where BC is a vector and ABC is a scalar.
mikedamike
Hi,

I have a probability density function defined by

1 / D x E . eABC/2

D is a single number
E is a determinant of a matrix
. is the dot product between the two sides of the function
e I am pretty sure is meant to be eulers constant
A is a 5x1 vector
B is a 5 x 5 matrix
C is a 5x1 vector

To my understanding eulers constant can only be raised to the power of a single number
My question is that how can the second half of the equation be solved if i require eABC/2 (which is effectivly a 5x1 matrix / 2)?

Can anyone help me with this ?

Thanks in advance
Regards
Mike

Physics news on Phys.org
ABC looks like a scalar to me. BC is a vector, so I presume that the last step is a dot product of A with BC.

1. What is a probability density function (PDF)?

A probability density function is a mathematical function that describes the probability of a random variable falling within a certain range of values. It is used to analyze and model continuous random variables.

2. How is a PDF different from a probability mass function (PMF)?

A PDF is used for continuous random variables, while a PMF is used for discrete random variables. A PDF gives the probability of a variable falling within a range of values, while a PMF gives the probability of a specific value occurring.

3. What is the area under a PDF curve?

The area under a PDF curve represents the probability of a random variable falling within a certain range of values. The total area under the curve is always equal to 1, indicating that the probability of the variable falling within the entire range of possible values is 100%.

4. How is a PDF used in statistics?

A PDF is used to calculate the probability of a random variable falling within a specific range of values. It can also be used to calculate the mean, variance, and other statistical measures for a continuous random variable.

5. Can a PDF be negative?

No, a PDF cannot be negative. The values of a PDF must be non-negative, as they represent probabilities.