• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Probability density function

Homework Statement

Hello! I'm trying to understand how to solve the following type of problems.

1) Random variables x and y are independent and uniformly distributed on the interval [0; a]. Find probability density function of a random variable z=x-y.

2) Exponentially distributed (p=exp(-x), x>=0) random variables x and y are independent. Find probability density function of a random variable z=x-y.

Homework Equations

Can someone please check if my attempt to solve the problems is successful or not? I'd appreciate any help :)

The Attempt at a Solution

(Attached file)

Thank you in advance[/B]

Attachments

Answers and Replies

BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
Just a comment:
From the exercise I read they want you to find the probability distribution itself, not the accumulated function. A slightly different beast.

And a question:
Do you know about convolution ? (you are more or less working it out on your own here). Understanding that concept makes things a lot easier.

andrewkirk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
For part (1) your answer is correct for ##z\leq 0## but not for ##0<z<a##. If you substitute ##z=0## into your formula for that latter case you get 0, whereas it should be 1/2. I think the problem will be with the limits used in the inner of your double integrals. The probability should move smoothly from 1/2 to 1 as ##z## goes from 0 to ##a##.

EDIT: Just saw BvU's answer and I agree with that. Your answer is a CDF but a PDF has been requested. You can get the PDF by differentiating the CDF.