1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability Density Functions

1. Mar 13, 2014 #1
    Hi!

I am currently studying Probability Density Functions and I am having a hard time wrapping my head around something.

So, from what I have read, P(X=c), i.e. probability that the random variable X takes on any specific outcome, is equal to 0. Yet, the probability X takes on any outcome between a and b is not 0. Isn't the probability that X takes on any value between a and b equal to the probability X takes on each individual outcome between a and b added together? In other words, would not that be equal to summing several probabilities = 0?

I hope I made my doubt somewhat clear,

Thank you in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2014 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are correct that if ##X## has a probability density function then ##P(X = c) = 0## for any specific outcome ##c##. Your confusion stems from the fact that if you consider an uncountably infinite set of outcomes, such as the interval ##[a,b]##, then you cannot simply add the probabilities of the individual points. This only works for a finite or countably infinite number of outcomes.

Forget about probability for a moment and consider the interval ##[0,1]##. This interval has length 1 even though each point in the interval has length zero. There's no contradiction here, it's just a fact of life: we can't add the lengths (or probabilities, or more generally, the measures) of an uncountably infinite number of objects.

4. Mar 13, 2014 #3
    Got it! Thank you very much jbunniii!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted