Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability Density Integral

1. Apr 25, 2012 #1
    Hi,

I am trying to figure out the following integral. I have two normalized 1D harmonic osccilator wave functions [itex]\psi_{n}(x)[/itex] and [itex]\psi_{m}(x)[/itex] and I would like to integrate
    [tex]
    \int_{\text{all space}} |\psi_{n}(x)|^2 |\psi_{m}(x)|^2 dx
    [/tex]
    for [itex]m\neq n [/itex]. I would also be interested in knowing for what conditions on [itex]m[/itex] and [itex]n[/itex] could this integral be approximated as
    [tex]
    \int_{\text{all space}} |\psi_{n}(x)|^2 |\psi_{m}(x)|^2 dx \approx \left( \int |\psi_{n}(x)|^2 dx \right) \left( \int |\psi_{m}(x)|^2 dx \right) =1
    [/tex]
    I have tried integrating by parts and waded through a couple of identities but I haven't been able to make much progress. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2012 #2

Jano L.

Gold Member

jfy4,
    I do not know how to calculate your integral, but the approximation you have indicated cannot work for any n,m because the right-hand side of the equality has different dimensions.

4. Apr 25, 2012 #3

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

jfy4, I don't see any physical relevance of the integrals you are interested in

5. May 1, 2012 #4
    Good point, thanks.

6. May 1, 2012 #5
    now, neither do I...

7. May 1, 2012 #6
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook