Calculating Probability for Continuous Random Vectors

In summary: Good. That's always the best way to solve it. And, yes, you don't need explicit integration since the probability density isn't a function of x1 and x2. You just find the overlap area and multiply by 1/2.
XodoX
1. The probability density function for the continuous random vector X = (X1, X2) is given by:

Fx1, x2(X1,X2) = { 1/2 if X1+X2[tex]\leq[/tex] 2,X1[tex]\geq[/tex] 0,X2[tex]\geq[/tex]0
0 otherwise }

Calculate the probability that X1>2X2

I do not know which formula to use. I can't find the right one. How do I do this?:confused: The joint density formula?

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a picture in the x1x2 plane showing where the density is 1/2. Then, on the same picture, draw the region in question where x1>2x2. That should show you the region to work with.

LCKurtz said:
Draw a picture in the x1x2 plane showing where the density is 1/2. Then, on the same picture, draw the region in question where x1>2x2. That should show you the region to work with.

Yeah, I did that. However, I don't know which formula to use.

You integrate the probability density over the region where x1>2*x2.

Dick said:
You integrate the probability density over the region where x1>2*x2.

So joint density was right?

XodoX said:
So joint density was right?

If that's what you call integrating probability density over part of your region where x1>2*x2, then sure.

Joint density would be:

F x,y(x,y)=xe-x(y+1), x>0 ,y=0

XodoX said:
Joint density would be:

That's not it. The region where density is 1/2 is a triangle. Does the picture you drew show that?

Dick said:
That's not it. The region where density is 1/2 is a triangle. Does the picture you drew show that?

Well, I actually didn't know that this one can not be used for triangles?
There's another formula I found for joint density...

F N,X(n,x)=Xne-2x/n!

XodoX said:
Well, I actually didn't know that this one can not be used for triangles?
There's another formula I found for joint density...

F N,X(n,x)=Xne-2x/n!

Stop looking up formulas. You don't need them. It's not that complicated. LCKurtz said to draw a picture. You said you did. What does it look like? Describe the triangle where density is 1/2.

XodoX said:
Joint density would be:

Huh?? Where did that come from? You gave us the joint density in the original post. And the probability that X1>2X2 should be a number between 0 and 1.

Well, I eventually solved it myself. Integration wasn't needed.

XodoX said:
Well, I eventually solved it myself. Integration wasn't needed.

Good. That's always the best way to solve it. And, yes, you don't need explicit integration since the probability density isn't a function of x1 and x2. You just find the overlap area and multiply by 1/2.

1. What is probability density?

Probability density refers to the likelihood of a particular outcome occurring in a continuous distribution. It is a measure of the relative frequency of a specific event or value within a range of possible outcomes.

2. How is probability density calculated?

The probability density is calculated by taking the derivative of the cumulative distribution function of a continuous random variable. This function represents the probability of a value falling below a certain point in the distribution.

3. What is the difference between probability and probability density?

Probability refers to the likelihood of a specific event occurring, while probability density refers to the likelihood of a range of values occurring within a continuous distribution. Probability is a single value, while probability density is a function that can take on different values depending on the range of outcomes.

4. How is probability density used in statistics?

Probability density is used in statistics to describe and analyze continuous distributions, such as normal or exponential distributions. It allows us to calculate the likelihood of a range of values occurring and make predictions about future outcomes based on past data.

5. What are some real-world applications of probability density?

Probability density is used in a variety of fields, including finance, physics, and engineering, to model and analyze continuous data. It is also used in risk assessment and insurance to calculate the likelihood of certain events occurring and determine appropriate coverage and premiums.