1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability: Dice Game

1. Sep 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Sarah and Thomas each roll a die. Whoever gets the higher number wins; if they both roll they same number, neither wins.

a. What is the probability that Thomas wins?

b. If Sarah, rolls a 3 what is the probability that she wins?

c. If Sarah rolls a 3 what is the probability that Thomas wins?

d. If Sarah wins what is the probability that Thomas rolled a 3?

e. If Sarah wins what is the probability that Sarah rolled a three?

2. Relevant equations

P(A|B) = P(A[tex]\cap[/tex]B)/P(B)

Bayes' Rule

3. The attempt at a solution

For a, is it as simple as they both at the beginning of the game have an equally likely chance of winning so 1/2?

b) If she rolls a 3 then in order for her to win Thomas must roll a 1 or 2 so the probability that she wins is 1/3

c) If she rolls a three then in order for Thomas to win he must roll a 4,5 or 6 so the probability that he wins is 1/2.

d) If Sarah wins she must have rolled a 2,3,4,5, or 6. For Thomas to lose he must have rolled a 1,2,3,4 or 5. So the probability that he rolls a 3 is 1/5.

e) If Sarah wins she must have rolled a 2,3,4,5, or 6. So the probability that she rolls a three is also 1/5.

Is this correct reasoning? Also how do I actually use the relevant equations in this problem?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2009 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

i don't think so, as there is also the potential no one wins...
    these sound right to me
    not sure i follow you reasoning on the last two

the question revolves around the random variable, X which can take values {1,2,..,6}
    with P(X=n) = 1/6 for n in {1,2,..,6}

for example a) is given the two independent random variables X1 & X2 with distributions as given above, what is P(X1 > X2)...

however, as you were implying, due to symmetry, you know P(X2 > X1) = P(X1 > X2)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  4. Sep 23, 2009 #3

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For a), I think not. If you write out all the possibilities for example, you will see that in less than half of them Thomas actually wins.

Similarly you over-simplified d) and e). Sarah winning does not mean that she rolled 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 while Thomas got 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5. For example: if Sarah throws 3 and Thomas 4, then Thomas wins.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook