Probability Dice Question

• Thread starter bap902
  • Start date

Homework Statement

A die is rolled 13 times. What is the probability of at least two 6's appearing? (Round your answer to four decimal places.)

2. The attempt at a solution
I know that the total number of outcomes is 6^13. I did (13nCr2)x(1x1x6x6x6x6x6x6x6x6x6x6x6)/6^13, but the answer isn't right. What am I doing wrong?

Answers and Replies

Perhaps you should try explaining the theory behind your solution.
I think working on the complement would be much easier. That is, finding the number of times a 6 would appear 0 times and the number of times a six would appear 1 time, and then take the complement.

statdad
Homework Helper
What is the difference between "at least two 6s appear" and "exactly two sixes appear?" which did you calculate?
VeeEight's suggestion is spot on.

What is the difference between "at least two 6s appear" and "exactly two sixes appear?" which did you calculate?
VeeEight's suggestion is spot on.

I see. I calculated the number of times exactly two sixes would appear. Not quite sure how to do the compliment though.

You can do separate cases (exactly two sixes, exactly three sixes, etc) and add them all up. It's just that taking the complement is less work
(a good exercise might be to do both to make sure they are the same)

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
The complement of "at least two sixes" is "0 or 1 sixes" and is easier to calculate sinced it involves only two cases rather than 5.

Thanks! Got it.