1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability distribution function / propagator

1. Mar 10, 2009 #1
    I have the following equation:

[tex]\frac{1}{2N^{2}}\int_{s} \int_{p} \left\langle (\textbf{R}_{s} - \textbf{R}_{p} )^{2} \right\rangle[/tex]

which describes the radius of gyration of a polymer. (the term being integrated is the average position between beads p and s)

This is shown to be equivalent to:

[tex]\frac{1}{2N^{2}}\int_{s} \int_{p} \left| s - p \right| b^{2} [/tex]
    where b is the step size.

All my text book says is that the second equation has been found by using the propagator (probability density function) and two integrals:

[tex]G(\textbf{R}, N)=\left( \frac{3}{2\pi Nb^{2}}\right)^{3/2}e^{- \frac{3R^{2}}{2Nb^{2}}[/tex]

[tex]\int^{\infty}_{- \infty} e^{-ax^{2}}=\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{a}}[/tex]
    [tex]\int^{\infty}_{- \infty} x^{2} e^{-ax^{2}}=\frac{1}{2a} \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{a}}[/tex]

I have no idea how this "propagator" is used to reach the second equation. Is anyone able to shed any light on what's happened? Many thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?