Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability distributions and particles

1. Feb 25, 2012 #1
    Hi

My question is not related to a specific piece of software, but more of a technique. I have a probablity distribution giving the probability of a classical particle having some velocity v. Now, what I have is a function to calculate the trajectory for a particle with some velocity vi. I need to apply this function to the whole distribution. My question is how I should do this.

Originally what I had thought about doing is to partition the distribution into N small bins, and associate a velocity to each bin. My plan was then to calculate the trajectory for each velocity (=bin), and the "output-velocity" I weigh with the original probability/weight.

1) My first question is if this is a correct method I am using?

2) I have already implemented this is Mathematica. However, for some distinct bins some of the "output"-velocities are the same. So I need to figure out some way to add them up, which I don't find that easy. My problem is to determine how close two data points have to be in order to be binned together.

Best regards,
    Niles.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted