1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability Distributions

1. Feb 23, 2008 #1
    On a multiple guess exam, there are 3 possible answers for each of the 5 questions. What is the probability that the student will get four or more correct answers just by guessing?

Is this hypergeometric or binomial?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Since on each question a student can either choose the correct answer or not, it is binomial. Do you see what is the probability a student will choose the correct answer on a specific question just by guessing?

4. Feb 23, 2008 #3
    I thought it was either this

[tex]\frac{(^{5}_{4}) (^{10}_{1})}{(^{15}_{5})}[/tex] choose 4 from 5 correct answers, choose 1 from 10 wrong answers divided by choosing 5 answers from 15

Or this (which I now know is probably the right answer)

[tex](^{5}_{4})p^{4}q + (^{5}_{5})p^{5}[/tex] which is the probability of 4/5 right answers + probability of 5/5 right answers, where prob correct answer = 1/3

5. Feb 24, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, the second is the one you want (you are NOT choosing 4 or 5 correct answers from all 15- that would imply that you could choose 2 correct answer from one problem and none from another!). Now what number is [tex](^{5}_{4})p^{4}q + (^{5}_{5})p^{5}[/tex]?

6. Feb 24, 2008 #5
    p = 1/3 and q = 2/3 => 0.14 unless I calculated wrong which is entirely possible.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?