Probability, distributions

In summary: What is the probability that the first generated point lies in the interval [0,1/10]? What is the probability that the second generated point lies in the interval [0,1/10]? Just continue like that.(1/10)^n?
nickthegreek

Homework Statement

We have an interval [0,1], which we divide into k equally sized subintervals and generate n observations. Let's call the number of observations which falls into interval k_i, X_i. What distribution does X_1 have?

Now we define Y_i=X_i/n. Derive the Expected value, variance and standard deviation for Y_i?

This is a homework assignment, so please just guide me... don't give me the answers :)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The distribution for X_1: The amount of observations in each interval should follow a normal distribution, no? But the number of observations in each interval will be discrete? If I could understand what distr. this is, I could solve for E(X_i^2) in the last expression?

X_i=# of n that is in k_i. So, E(X_i)=n/k.
E(Y_i)=E(X_i/n)=(1/n)(E(X_i))=1/k
V(Y_i)=E((Y_i)^2)-(E(Y_i))^2=E((X_i/n)^2)-(1/k)^2=(1/n)^2*E(X_i^2)-1/k^2 ?

Physics news on Phys.org
nickthegreek said:

Homework Statement

We have an interval [0,1], which we divide into k equally sized subintervals and generate n observations. Let's call the number of observations which falls into interval k_i, X_i. What distribution does X_1 have?

Now we define Y_i=X_i/n. Derive the Expected value, variance and standard deviation for Y_i?

This is a homework assignment, so please just guide me... don't give me the answers :)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The distribution for X_1: The amount of observations in each interval should follow a normal distribution, no? But the number of observations in each interval will be discrete? If I could understand what distr. this is, I could solve for E(X_i^2) in the last expression?X_i=# of n that is in k_i. So, E(X_i)=n/k.
E(Y_i)=E(X_i/n)=(1/n)(E(X_i))=1/k
V(Y_i)=E((Y_i)^2)-(E(Y_i))^2=E((X_i/n)^2)-(1/k)^2=(1/n)^2*E(X_i^2)-1/k^2 ?

How do you pick a random point in [0,1]? Do you use a uniform distribution? If so, then NO, the distribution of X_1 is not normal. In fact, for ANY distribution on [0,1], the distribution of X_1 is not normal: the normal distribution goes from -∞ to +∞, but the distribution of X_1 only goes from 0 to n. Of course the number of points in each interval will be discrete; after all, you just pick an integer number n of points altogether, and the number falling into an interval will be some integer from 0 to n.

To understand what is the distribution of X_1, you first need to say what is the distribution of the random points on [0,1]. If it IS the uniform distribution, draw a diagram of its density function f(x), and remember what "density" means (or look it up in a book or a web page).

Last edited:
Hi Ray, thanks for your answer.

You are correct, I forgot the "small" little detail that we generated it from a uniform distribution. I think/thought I knew what a density function is, and that the probability function for a uniform distribution is 1/(b-a+1). I can't udnerstand what the distribution for X_1 will be tho. Let's say we generate 100 numbers in [0,1] and create 10 subintervals with a uniform distr. Our E(X_i)=10, so for i=1,...,10 we will have a rectangular shaped diagram, the usual uniform one. If I picture a diagram, with X_1 on the Y-axis and the x-axis goes from [0,1/10], so it will only vary discretly in the y-axis around 10. This will make it a discretly uniform distr.?

excuse my english, I don't know some of the terms in english.

nickthegreek said:
Hi Ray, thanks for your answer.

You are correct, I forgot the "small" little detail that we generated it from a uniform distribution. I think/thought I knew what a density function is, and that the probability function for a uniform distribution is 1/(b-a+1). I can't udnerstand what the distribution for X_1 will be tho. Let's say we generate 100 numbers in [0,1] and create 10 subintervals with a uniform distr. Our E(X_i)=10, so for i=1,...,10 we will have a rectangular shaped diagram, the usual uniform one. If I picture a diagram, with X_1 on the Y-axis and the x-axis goes from [0,1/10], so it will only vary discretly in the y-axis around 10. This will make it a discretly uniform distr.?

excuse my english, I don't know some of the terms in english.

What is the probability that the first generated point lies in the interval [0,1/10]? What is the probability that the second generated point lies in the interval [0,1/10]? Just continue like that.

(1/10)^n?

1. What is probability?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood that a certain event will occur. It is expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 represents impossibility and 1 represents certainty.

2. What is a probability distribution?

A probability distribution is a mathematical function that describes the likelihood of different outcomes in a sample space. It assigns a probability to each possible outcome.

3. What is the difference between discrete and continuous distributions?

A discrete distribution is one in which the possible outcomes are countable and have distinct values, such as the number of heads obtained when flipping a coin. A continuous distribution is one in which the possible outcomes are uncountable and can take on any value within a range, such as the height of a person.

4. How do you calculate the mean and standard deviation of a distribution?

The mean of a distribution is calculated by taking the sum of all the values and dividing it by the total number of values. The standard deviation is a measure of the spread of the distribution and can be calculated by taking the square root of the variance, which is the average of the squared differences from the mean.

5. What is the central limit theorem?

The central limit theorem states that as the sample size of a distribution increases, the distribution of sample means will approach a normal distribution, regardless of the shape of the original distribution. This allows us to make inferences about a population based on a sample.