Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability Ellipsoid

1. Aug 6, 2007 #1
    Is any one familiar with the concept of a probability tensor or a probability ellipsoid? I am learning about them in the context of NMR techniques.
    Here is a page describing them: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/abstract/107633228/ABSTRACT?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0

My question is, why would the principal values need to add up to 1? The principal values are the probability that the magnetic field points along that axis, so does the requirement that they add up to one mean that the magnetic field can only point along the three axes of the ellipsoid? Why can it not point anywhere else?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2007 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The link doesn't work for me.

4. Aug 7, 2007 #3

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Since you are dealing with probability, it seems natural to consider that the probability of allowable states should sum to 1. The question you have is, "Why are there only a limited number of allowable states?" I believe that the tensor definition is of the net magnetization vector. The definition itself only deals with the vector sum of all allowable magnetization vectors. The ellipsoid should deal with some variablility about the net magetization vector itself either before or after some pertubation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?