Possible Permutations for Drawing with Replacement and Unordered Results

In summary, the equation for drawing with replacement and considering results to be unordered is o's and x's where o's is the number of that color drawn and x is a separator for the next color. If there are n different colors and k draws, then there are k + n - 1 o's and n - 1 x's. To find all the possible permutations of this set of x's and o's, you need to solve (k + n - 1)! / (n - 1)! = (k + n - 1) choose (n - 1). If you do 2 choose 3, you get a negative answer because you can't choose three of the original two objects.
zeion

Homework Statement

I don't understand the equation for drawing with replacement and considering results to be unordered.

So with replacement and no attention to order all we see is the number of each color drawn. So this is represented by o's and x's where o's is the number of that color drawn and x is a separator for the next color.

If # of different colors is n and # of draws is k then # of o's is k and # of x's is n - 1.
So now I need to find all the possible permutation of this set of x's and o's.

I don't understand why it is k + n - 1 choose n - 1 (?)

(k + n - 1)! / (n - 1)! (k + n - 1 - (n - 1))! (?)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I like to think of "a choose b" as "the number of ways to pick b places from a total of a".
In that case, it is easy to see if you imagine the following; suppose you have k o's and (n - 1) x's. Imagine k + n - 1 empty spots on the table, which is just enough to hold all the o's and x's. Now you can fix any order, if you pick (n - 1) places where all the x's will go. Since all the x's are indistinguishable, and the all o's are too, if you have n - 1 places for the x's the o's will have to in the remaining k places. So you want to answer the question "in how many ways can I pick n - 1 spots from the total of k + n - 1 to place my x's on?" which is -- almost by definition -- (k + n - 1) choose (n - 1)

So if I do something like 2 choose 3 I get a negative.
Does that mean it's impossible?

If you do 2 choose 3 you should get zero: How many ways are there to pick 3 objects from a set of 2?
(That's also what my "calculator" gives, how do you get a negative?)

CompuChip said:
Ihow do you get a negative?

I think he's referring to getting the factorial of a negative number on the denominator. This is consistent with zero combinations anyway.

zeion said:
So if I do something like 2 choose 3 I get a negative.
Does that mean it's impossible?
The formula for "n choose i" is [itex]_nC_i= \begin{pmatrix}n \\ i\end{pmatrix}= \frac{n!}{i!(n- i)!}[/itex].

For "2 choose 3" it is [itex]\frac{2!}{3!(-1)!}[/itex] but (-1)! is undefined. It is a convention that assigns a value of 0 to it.

But the answer to your question is "yes". It should be obvious that if you only have two objects, you cannot choose three of them!

1. What is a probability equation?

A probability equation is a mathematical expression that is used to calculate the likelihood of a certain event occurring. It takes into account all possible outcomes and assigns a value between 0 and 1, where 0 represents impossibility and 1 represents certainty.

2. How do you calculate probability using an equation?

To calculate probability using an equation, you need to know the total number of possible outcomes and the number of favorable outcomes. The equation for probability is the number of favorable outcomes divided by the total number of possible outcomes.

3. What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on calculations and predictions, while experimental probability is based on actual data and observations. Theoretical probability is used when all outcomes are equally likely, while experimental probability is used when outcomes may not be equally likely.

4. Can probability equations be used to predict future events?

Probability equations can be used to make predictions about future events, but they are not always accurate. The accuracy of the prediction depends on the quality of the data used to calculate the probability and the assumptions made in the equation.

5. How is probability used in real life?

Probability is used in many real-life situations, such as weather forecasting, risk assessment, and gambling. It can also be used to make informed decisions in fields like finance, medicine, and sports. Understanding probability can help us make better decisions and plan for uncertain outcomes.