1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability for N molecules

1. Nov 8, 2013 #1
    Estimate the probability that in a room of volume V, all the N molecules of air are found in volume [itex]\frac{3V}{4}[/itex] and none at all in the reaining volume V/4
    My take to the solution is

Pr of finding N molecules in [itex]\frac{3V}{4}[/itex] : [itex]\frac{N}{3V/4}[/itex]= [itex]\frac{4N}{3V}[/itex]
    Pr finding none in V/4: 1-[itex]\frac{4N}{3V}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{3V-4N}{3V}[/itex]

----------

I used coin toss logic. No idea i did it correct. I'm new at staistical mechanics. I'm kinda lost just give me hints.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2013 #2

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That's not a very good estimate. Think about it this way: You divide the room into two parts, call them section A and section B. Section A is 3 times as large in volume as section B.

Suppose you start off with an empty room (no air at all). Then you introduce a single molecule into the room at a random location. Then the probability will be 3/4 that the molecule will be placed into section A. Now introduce a second molecule. The probability that it will be in section A is again 3/4. So the probability that the first two molecules will be released into section A is:

[itex]P_2 = (3/4)*(3/4) = (3/4)^2[/itex]

So if you keep on releasing molecules into the room at a random location, then the probability that the first [itex]N[/itex] molecules will all be in section A is:

[itex]P_N = ?[/itex]

4. Nov 8, 2013 #3
    Thx!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted