1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability for Quantum tunnelling

1. Dec 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle with the energy E < V[itex]_{0}[/itex] (V[itex]_{0}[/itex] > 0) moves in the potential V(x) = 0, x<0 ; V(x)= V[itex]_{0}[/itex], 0<x<d and V(x)= 0, x>d. Measure the probability that the particle will tunnel through the barrier by calculating the absolute value of the ratio squared, |[itex]\Psi[/itex](d)/[itex]\Psi[/itex](0)|[itex]^{2}[/itex] between the values of the wave function at x=d and x = 0

Calculate the probability for an electron, when V[itex]_{0}[/itex]- E=1 eV and d = 1 Å.

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]\Psi[/itex](x) = ae[itex]^{\kappa*x}[/itex]+be[itex]^{-\kappa*x}[/itex], [itex]\kappa[/itex] = [itex]\sqrt{2m( V_{0}-E)/\hbar^{2}}[/itex] for E<V[itex]_{0}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Firstly I get:

[itex]\kappa[/itex] = [itex]\sqrt{2m(1)/\hbar^{2}}[/itex] for E<V[itex]_{0}[/itex]

However, the problem is with this wave function:

[itex]\Psi[/itex](x) = ae[itex]^{\kappa*x}[/itex]+be[itex]^{-\kappa*x}[/itex]

In order to calculate the ratio, |[itex]\Psi[/itex](d)/[itex]\Psi[/itex](0)|[itex]^{2}[/itex], I think I have to define a and b somehow, but I don't know where to start.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2012 #2
    You have to solve Shroedinger's equation in all three regions. Then you need to apply the appropriate boundary conditions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook