Exploring the Excitement of Probability in Card Games

In summary, the conversation is about the possibility of creating a probability card game and the mention of popular games that involve probability. The Monty Hall game is also discussed as an example of a game that uses probability. Suggestions are made to use cards instead of doors and to use stochastic tools in the stock market, although there is a humorous mention of potential bankruptcy.
jk4
ok I hope nobody gets mad at me for asking about this but here goes:

So I've recently become pretty interested in probability, I'm wondering if there are any cool probability card game out there. I thinking of making my own (don't really know enough though probably) when I thought "I bet there are some really cool ones out there." I've been googling it for about an hour and haven't found anything good.
What I have in mind is not a simple game of chance that you can use probability in, but a game that is actually centered around probability.

So like on your turn you can decrease the probability of someone winning or increase your odds, combined with other strategy. Or something like that. Just something I have on my mind.

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually I find that a great many popular games involve probability, often fairly deep: blackjack, Risk, poker, and Magic: The Gathering, to name but four (in roughly increasing order of complexity).

There is the classic Monty Hall game...

Three doors. One with a good prize (new car) two with sheep (or goats if you prefer).
The player chooses a door and the host (Monty) knowing which of the other two doors is not the good door removes a bad door. He then gives the player the option of changing their choice to the only remaining door.

The probability that the first door chosen is good is 1/3. Meaning that the probability that one of the other two doors is good is 2/3. So the player is probably better off to always change his choice to get the benefit of the 2/3 probability.

It is easy to vary this game to use cards rather than doors. Sheep and goats are smelly...

You could also play the stock market and use stochastic tools to help you make money. Though anyone who uses these goes bankrupt for some reason (Black and Scholes :biggrin:)

What is probability in card games?

Probability in card games is the likelihood of a certain outcome or event occurring during a game. It is often represented as a percentage or fraction and is influenced by factors such as the number of cards in a deck and the rules of the game.

How is probability calculated in card games?

Probability in card games is calculated by dividing the number of desired outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. For example, if you have a deck of 52 cards and want to calculate the probability of drawing an ace, you would divide 4 (the number of aces in a deck) by 52 (the total number of cards) to get a probability of 0.0769 or approximately 7.7%.

Why is understanding probability important in card games?

Understanding probability in card games can help players make informed decisions during gameplay. It can also help players strategize and anticipate potential outcomes, giving them an advantage over their opponents.

How does probability affect the outcome of a card game?

Probability plays a significant role in the outcome of a card game. It determines the likelihood of certain cards being drawn, which can impact the players' hands and ultimately the winner of the game.

Can probability be manipulated in card games?

No, probability cannot be manipulated in card games. It is based on mathematical principles and cannot be controlled or altered by players. However, having a good understanding of probability can help players make strategic decisions that may increase their chances of winning.