Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability growth with time

Tags:
  1. Apr 16, 2014 #1
    I've been wondering about a simple question that I can't just google and get the answer to. Usually when we calculate probability, we know the number of possible outcomes. Say we toss a coin, there are 2 possible outcomes with one being head and one being tail. So the chance of getting a head is 1/2, WHEN you toss the coin. So maybe "tossing the coin" is a defined event. What if the event is continuous in time? What if say, instead of tossing the coin, I balance the coin so it rolls down the hills, and I ask the question, what is the chance of the coin losing its balance after rolling down the hills for 10 seconds, for 20 seconds, and so on? A more practical example would be what is the chance of getting into a car accident after driving for x amount of time? I would expect the theory that corresponds to this to be a growth of probability with respect to time where it reaches 100% when t->infinity.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2014 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I'm not sure what your question actually is. But events like the one you posted in the OP can be handled with continuous distributions (and even with discrete distributions). For example, check the exponential distribution: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exponential_distribution

4. Apr 17, 2014 #3

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Taking the viewpoint of conditional probability, the usual way to look at things is that "The probability of event A given event B" does not change with time. If you want time to enter the picture you define a function that maps time to events. So "The probability of A given B(t)" can change with time because as time t changes, the event B(t) becomes a different event.

5. Apr 24, 2014 #4
    The Poisson distribution is what you are looking for.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook