Calculating Probability for Mean Shift in 1992: Help and Tips (Urgent)

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the probability that the mean of a normally distributed data set with a mean of 20744 and standard deviation of 8 will be at least 21000 in 1992. The conversation includes discussions about converting to the standard normal distribution, calculating the z-value, and finding the probability for a z-value greater than a given number. There is also confusion about the relationship between X and the year, with X being a random variable.
bayan
hey everyone.

I have a question that I cannot seem to work the answer for.

the question is.

between 1983-1991 X ~ N (20744,8 xxx xxx) Cant exactly remember the numbers, but how do I get the probability that in 1992 the mean will be at least 21000?

I have calculated the [tex]Z[/tex] value which was about[tex]-7.5[/tex]

will the [tex]Z[/tex] value be the same for the year 1992?

and also the term at least 21000 confusex me.

any help would be gratly appriciated as I have to do a similar one tomarrow in my test

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone? I really need help with this

I have no idea what the question is!

Apparently, between 1983 and 1999 something was normally distributed with mean 20744 and some standard deviation. You are asking how to find the probability that the mean (of a sample?) is a at least 21000?
Convert from the given distribution to the standard normal distribution.
What "z" does 21000 convert to? Most tables give probability for z between the number and 0. To find probability for z greater subtract that from 1/2.

Last edited by a moderator:
the X value in this case would be 9 wouldn't it?
also I got [tex]Z=-7.5[/tex] for the first data and I got [tex]Z=-7.63[/tex] for mean being grater than 21000 :(

I know my Z value is wrong, But I don't know where I made the mistake

[tex]Z=\frac{9-21000}{2750}[/tex]

[tex]Z= -7.63[/tex]

Can you please see where I have made a mistake

thank you

bayan said:
the X value in this case would be 9 wouldn't it?
1991 - 1983 + 1 = 9. But I thought X is a random var. and not the year. You need to be clear about how X relates to the year.

1. What is probability and why is it important?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood of a specific event occurring. It is important because it allows us to make predictions and decisions based on the likelihood of different outcomes.

2. How is probability calculated?

Probability is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This can be represented as a fraction, decimal, or percentage.

3. What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumptions, while experimental probability is based on actual data from experiments or observations. Theoretical probability can be used to predict outcomes, while experimental probability reflects what actually happened.

4. What are the basic rules of probability?

The basic rules of probability include the addition rule, multiplication rule, and complement rule. The addition rule states that the probability of two or more independent events occurring is equal to the sum of their individual probabilities. The multiplication rule states that the probability of two or more independent events occurring together is equal to the product of their individual probabilities. The complement rule states that the probability of an event not occurring is equal to 1 minus the probability of the event occurring.

5. How is probability used in real life?

Probability is used in many real-life situations, such as predicting the weather, making business decisions, and analyzing data in various fields including finance, insurance, and healthcare. It is also used in games of chance, such as gambling and lotteries.