What is the Probability of a Delayed Flight Given Luggage Arrived in Vancouver?

• Thread starter PirateFan308
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of Sarah's first flight being on time and her luggage making the connection flight. The probability that her first flight is on time is 0.77, and if it is on time, the probability of her luggage making the connection is 0.92. If the first flight is delayed, the probability of her luggage making it is only 0.63. The problem asks for the probability that the first flight was delayed given that her luggage arrived in Vancouver with her, which is 0.17. This can be found by considering the overall probability of her luggage arriving and dividing it by the probability of her luggage arriving if the first flight was delayed.
PirateFan308

Homework Statement

Suppose Sarah is flying from Regina to Vancouver with a connection in Edmonton. The probability that her first flight leaves on time is 0.77. If the first flight is on time, the probability that her luggage will make the connection flight in Edmonton is 0.92. But if the first flight is delayed, the probability that the luggage will make it is only 0.63.

Suppose that her luggage arrived in Vancouver with her, what is the probability that the fist flight was delayed?

The answer for this is 0.17, but I'm not sure how our teacher got this.

Homework Equations

[itex]P(A|B) = \frac{P(A\cap B)}{P(B)}[/itex]

[itex]P(A\cap B)=P(A)P(B|A)=P(B)P(A|B)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I found that the probability her luggage arrives in Vancouver with her is 0.8533.

I drew the following:

Probability first flight leaves on time: 0.77
- Probability baggage arrives: 0.92
- Probability baggage does not arrive: 0.04
Probability first flight leaves late: 0.23
- Probability baggage arrives: 0.63
- Probability baggage does not arrive: 0.370

I thought that [itex]P(A\cap B)=0[/itex] so then [itex]P(A)P(B|A)=P(B)P(A|B)=0[/itex] but this doesn't seem as if it could be true...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What events do A and B represent, and are these independent events?

PirateFan308 said:

Homework Statement

Suppose Sarah is flying from Regina to Vancouver with a connection in Edmonton. The probability that her first flight leaves on time is 0.77. If the first flight is on time, the probability that her luggage will make the connection flight in Edmonton is 0.92. But if the first flight is delayed, the probability that the luggage will make it is only 0.63.

Suppose that her luggage arrived in Vancouver with her, what is the probability that the fist flight was delayed?

The answer for this is 0.17, but I'm not sure how our teacher got this.

Homework Equations

[itex]P(A|B) = \frac{P(A\cap B)}{P(B)}[/itex]

[itex]P(A\cap B)=P(A)P(B|A)=P(B)P(A|B)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I found that the probability her luggage arrives in Vancouver with her is 0.8533.

I drew the following:

Probability first flight leaves on time: 0.77
- Probability baggage arrives: 0.92
- Probability baggage does not arrive: 0.04
Probability first flight leaves late: 0.23
- Probability baggage arrives: 0.63
- Probability baggage does not arrive: 0.370

I thought that [itex]P(A\cap B)=0[/itex] so then [itex]P(A)P(B|A)=P(B)P(A|B)=0[/itex] but this doesn't seem as if it could be true...

What do A and B represent in this case?

Sometimes (not always) people find it easier to think about such problems in the following manner: imagine that Sarah makes the trip 10,000 times. In how many trips is her first flight on time? How many times late? For all the on-time trips, in how many does her luggage arrive? For all the late trips, in how many does her luggage arrive? Now look at all the cases in which her luggage arrives. In how many of those was the first flight on time?

RGV

Last edited:
Wow, I really over thought that. Thanks!

sorry didn't mean to submit, only meant to use to view this other post with latex correctly. There's no delete button?

1. What is the meaning of "Probability if A then B"?

The phrase "Probability if A then B" refers to the likelihood of event B occurring given that event A has already occurred. In other words, the probability of event B is conditional upon the occurrence of event A.

2. How is the probability of "if A then B" calculated?

The probability of "if A then B" is calculated using the formula: P(B|A) = P(A and B) / P(A), where P(B|A) represents the conditional probability of B given A, P(A and B) represents the joint probability of A and B occurring together, and P(A) represents the probability of event A occurring.

3. What is the relationship between "if A then B" and causation?

The phrase "if A then B" does not imply a causal relationship between events A and B. It simply indicates that the occurrence of event B is dependent on the occurrence of event A.

4. Can "if A then B" be used to predict the future?

Yes, "if A then B" can be used to make predictions about the future based on past or present observations. However, it is important to note that probability does not guarantee future outcomes and should be interpreted with caution.

5. How can "if A then B" be applied in real-world scenarios?

The concept of "if A then B" can be applied in various fields, such as statistics, economics, and social sciences. It can be used to analyze the likelihood of certain events occurring, make predictions, and inform decision-making processes.