Probability in quantum mechanics

In summary, the conversation discusses an assignment on quantum mechanics involving finding the probability for measured energy values in a harmonic oscillator potential. The coefficients for the energy eigenstates are represented by complex numbers, with the absolute value being squared in the probability formula. It is noted that the coefficients can have a relative phase and can be arbitrarily set to 1 over the square root of 2. The conversation ends with the person feeling confident in completing the problem with the newfound understanding of incorporating the complex phase factor into the coefficients.
jplcarpio
Hi all,

In my class we were given an assignment from Introduction to Quantum Mechanics by David Griffiths. The question is in Chapter 3, problem 3.34.

[PLAIN]http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/7899/prob334.png

(The system has a harmonic oscillator potential.)

Right now I'm stuck with getting the probability for the measured energy values. I know that the probability is the square of the absolute value of the coefficients of the energy eigenstates. Based on the question, that would be:

[PLAIN]http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/3004/prob3341.png

And since the measurements are obtained with equal probability:

[PLAIN]http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/3919/prob3342.png

My question is, what are the coefficients? I know it would be 1 over the square root of 2, I'm just not sure of the sign. Wouldn't the square of the absolute value imply that there are positive and negative values?

[PLAIN]http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/7591/prob3343.png

Thanks so much!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If c is a complex number and f a wavefunction, cf is a wavefunction that represents the same state as f. (If we require all wavefunctions to be normalized, the above only holds when |c|=1). So if you can take your coefficients to be [itex]1/\sqrt{2}[/itex], you can also take them to be (for example) [itex]-i/\sqrt{2}[/itex]. There's an absolute value function in the formula you're using because it's needed in general. It's not needed in those special cases where all the coefficients are real and positive.

Fredrik said:
If c is a complex number and f a wavefunction, cf is a wavefunction that represents the same state as f. (If we require all wavefunctions to be normalized, the above only holds when |c|=1). So if you can take your coefficients to be [itex]1/\sqrt{2}[/itex], you can also take them to be (for example) [itex]-i/\sqrt{2}[/itex]. There's an absolute value function in the formula you're using because it's needed in general. It's not needed in those special cases where all the coefficients are real and positive.

It wasn't specified that the coefficients are real and positive for the problem, though in the discussions the book Griffiths assumed that they were for simplicity.

How would you know if [itex]1/\sqrt{2}[/itex] or [itex]-i/\sqrt{2}[/itex] should be used (based on your example), if c is indeed complex?

Thank you again. :)

It doesn't matter which one you use, because if [itex]f=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(u_1+u_2)[/itex] and [itex]g=\frac{-i}{\sqrt{2}}(u_1+u_2)[/itex], then f and g represent the same state (since g=-if), and they both give you the same final result. (If they didn't, they couldn't possibly represent the same state).

I haven't actually worked out the problem, but I think the point of the problem is to find the relative phase of the constants. The best you can do at this point is to arbitrarily set one to [itex]1/\sqrt{2}[/itex]. You can do this for the reason Fredrik has explained. For the other, you'll have to include a complex phase factor, so it'll be [itex]e^{i\phi}/\sqrt{2}[/itex]. Presumably <p> will vary as a function of Φ, which will allow you to answer the remaining questions in the problem.

jplcarpio said:
My question is, what are the coefficients? I know it would be 1 over the square root of 2, I'm just not sure of the sign. Wouldn't the square of the absolute value imply that there are positive and negative values?
Thanks so much!

You know far less than that. All you know is that the magnitude of both coefficients are 1/sqrt(2), but you do not know the relative phase. So make that your unknown variable to find the maximal <p> against.

Ohhh, okay. I didn't quite understand how to incorporate the complex phase factor into the coefficients, we weren't given examples of that.

Thank you all, I believe I can finish the problem now. :)

What is probability in quantum mechanics?

Probability in quantum mechanics refers to the likelihood of a quantum system or particle being in a certain state or exhibiting a certain behavior. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that allows us to predict and understand the behavior of particles at the microscopic level.

How is probability calculated in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, probability is calculated using the wave function, which describes the state of a particle or system. The square of the wave function, known as the probability density, gives the probability of finding the particle in a particular location or state. The probability of obtaining a certain measurement or result is then determined by taking the integral of the probability density over a specific region.

What is the role of uncertainty in probability in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the concept of uncertainty is inherent in the measurement process. This means that the more accurately we measure one property of a particle, the less accurately we can know another. This is known as the Heisenberg uncertainty principle and is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics.

How does probability differ in classical and quantum mechanics?

In classical mechanics, the behavior of particles is deterministic and the concept of probability is not necessary. However, in quantum mechanics, the behavior of particles is described by probabilities due to the inherent uncertainty and probabilistic nature of quantum systems.

What are some real-world applications of probability in quantum mechanics?

Probability in quantum mechanics has many real-world applications, such as in quantum computing, cryptography, and quantum teleportation. It also plays a crucial role in understanding and predicting the behavior of subatomic particles and in developing new technologies, such as quantum sensors and quantum communication devices.