How Do I Calculate the Probability of Two Events in Email Marketing?

In summary: So $P(B|A)= \frac{1}{10000}$.In summary, the probability of event B (a customer making a purchase) if event A (a customer clicking the link in the email) happens is 1 in 10000. This can be calculated using the formula $P(B|A)= \frac{P(A \cap B)}{P(B)}$, where $P(A \cap B)$ can be found by multiplying the probabilities of A and B, and $P(B)$ is the probability of B happening without taking A into consideration. In this case, the probability of A is 1 in 200 (or $\frac{5}{1000}$) and the probability of B is
tmt1
Let say I am a company and I email 1 million customers to try to get them to make a purchase on my website, of which 50000 click the link in the email and of those 1000 makes a purchase.

We can say that clicking the link is event A, and making a purchase is event B.

What is $P(B | A)$ or the probably of B if A happens. The formula for this is $$\frac{P(A \cap B)}{P(B)}$$.

How can I figure out $P(A \cap B)$? I know the formula is $P(A) \cdot P(B)$.

I guess $P(A)$ is equal to $\frac{1000}{1000000}$ and $P(B) = \frac{50000}{1000000}$ but these multiplied is $\frac{50,000,000}{1000000000000}$ however I think the answer says that $P(A) \cdot P(B)$ would be $\frac{1000}{1000000}$

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
P(A) is the probability that
tmt said:
Let say I am a company and I email 1 million customers to try to get them to make a purchase on my website, of which 50000 click the link in the email and of those 1000 makes a purchase.

We can say that clicking the link is event A, and making a purchase is event B.

What is $P(B | A)$ or the probably of B if A happens. The formula for this is $$\frac{P(A \cap B)}{P(B)}$$.

How can I figure out $P(A \cap B)$? I know the formula is $P(A) \cdot P(B)$.
No, it is not! As you said in the immediately previous sentence $P(B|A)= \frac{P(A\cap B)}{P(B)}$ so that $P(A\cap B)= P(A|B)\cdot P(B)$ or, equivalently, $P(A\cap B)= P(B|A)\cdot P(B)$. $P(A\cap B)= P(A)\cdot P(B)$ if and only if A and B are independent- that is, if $P(A|B)= P(A)$ and $P(B|A)= P(B)$.

I guess $P(A)$ is equal to $\frac{1000}{1000000}$
Yes, that is correct.

and $P(B) = \frac{50000}{1000000}$
No, in this case, we are not told what P(B) is. We are told that of the 50000 people who clicked on the e-mail 1000 purchased. That is, $P(B|A)= \frac{1000}{50000}= \frac{1}{50}$.

[quotebut these multiplied is $\frac{50,000,000}{1000000000000}$ however I think the answer says that $P(A) \cdot P(B)$ would be $\frac{1000}{1000000}$[/QUOTE]
I'm not sure were "50,000,000" and "100000000" came from, you had said before 50000 and 1000000, but the fraction is, of course, the same. $P(A)= \frac{5000}{1000000}= \frac{5}{1000}$. And since, as above, $P(B|A)= \frac{1}{50}$, $P(A\cap B)= P(B|A)P(A \frac{5}{1000}\cdot\frac{1}{50}= frac{1}{10000}$.

What is the definition of probability?

The probability of an event is a measure of the likelihood of that event occurring. It is usually expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 indicates impossibility and 1 indicates certainty.

What is the difference between independent and dependent events?

Independent events are those in which the outcome of one event does not affect the outcome of the other. Dependent events are those in which the outcome of one event is influenced by the outcome of the other.

How do you calculate the probability of two independent events occurring together?

To calculate the probability of two independent events occurring together, you simply multiply the individual probabilities of each event. For example, if the probability of event A is 0.5 and the probability of event B is 0.3, then the probability of both events occurring together is 0.5 x 0.3 = 0.15.

What is the difference between mutually exclusive and non-mutually exclusive events?

Mutually exclusive events are those in which the occurrence of one event prevents the occurrence of the other. Non-mutually exclusive events are those in which the occurrence of one event does not affect the occurrence of the other.

How do you calculate the probability of two non-mutually exclusive events occurring together?

To calculate the probability of two non-mutually exclusive events occurring together, you add the individual probabilities of each event and subtract the probability of both events occurring together. For example, if the probability of event A is 0.5, the probability of event B is 0.3, and the probability of both events occurring together is 0.1, then the probability of both events occurring together is 0.5 + 0.3 - 0.1 = 0.7.