What is the Probability of Engine Failure for a Plane with Four Engines?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Poisson distribution and binomial distribution to calculate the probability of a plane with two engines or four engines failing. The equation for the probability of a two engine plane failing is P2 = Po(2) = p^2/{2!} * e^-p, and for a four engine plane failing is P4 = Po(3) + Po(4) = e^-p(p^3/{3!} + p^4/{4!}), which leads to P2 < P4. The conversation also mentions the use of PQ formula to calculate the points from p^2 + 4p - 12 = 0, which gives the two points p = -2 and
Addez123
Homework Statement
Probability for an engine to fail is p.
A plane can fly using only half of their engines, for what p is it safer to use a two engine plane instead of a four engine one?
Relevant Equations
Binominal, Poisson, multinomial, Normal -distribution formulas.
Given we only have one number I assume we are to use Poisson distribution.
Probability for a plane with two engines to fail require both engines to fail:
$$P_2 = P_o(2) =p^2/{2!} * e^{-p}$$

Probability of a four engine plane to fail requires 3 or 4 engines to fail:
$$P_4 = P_o(3) + P_o(4) = e^{-p}(p^3/{3!} + p^4/{4!} )$$
This leads the the equation $$P_2 < P_4$$
$$p^2/2! * e^{-p} < e^{-p}(p^3/{3!} + p^4/{4!} )$$
$$p^2 < p^3/3 + p^4/12$$
$$1 < p/3 +p^2/12$$
$$12 < 4p + p^2$$

Which we use PQ formula to calculate the points from:
$$p^2 + 4p - 12 = 0$$

The two points are p = -2, p = 2.

The answer is 1/3 < p < 1.
I probabily did everything wrong but some hints as to where I first did wrong would be helpful.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
I think your mistake is that you use Poisson distribution, while I think the problem is suitable for binomial distribution..
I did it with binomial distribution and I get the suggested answer, that is ##\frac{1}{3}<p<1##.

Hint: In using binomial distribution n is the number of engines of the plane. k is the number of the engines that fail, $$Pr(n,k,p)=\begin{pmatrix}n \\k \end{pmatrix}p^k(1-p)^{n-k}$$

Last edited:
Likes Addez123
Re-did it, now it works out!
Thanks!

Likes Delta2

1. What is the probability of engine failure?

The probability of engine failure depends on a variety of factors, including the age and maintenance of the engine, the type of fuel used, and the operating conditions. It is not possible to give a definitive answer without more specific information.

2. Can the probability of engine failure be predicted?

While it is not possible to predict the exact probability of engine failure, engineers and scientists use various models and simulations to estimate the likelihood of failure based on past data and current conditions. However, these predictions are not 100% accurate.

3. How does the probability of engine failure change over time?

The probability of engine failure typically increases over time as the engine experiences wear and tear. However, proper maintenance and regular inspections can help reduce the likelihood of failure and extend the life of the engine.

4. What are some common causes of engine failure?

Some common causes of engine failure include mechanical issues, such as worn out parts or a lack of lubrication, as well as external factors like extreme weather conditions or contaminated fuel. Human error, such as improper maintenance or fueling, can also contribute to engine failure.

5. Can the probability of engine failure be reduced?

While it is not possible to completely eliminate the risk of engine failure, there are steps that can be taken to reduce the probability. These include regular maintenance, using high-quality fuel, and following proper operating procedures. Additionally, advancements in technology and design have also helped improve the reliability of engines.