Probability of Filling 100 Orders w/ Defective Components

In summary, the manufacturer has 100 customers and needs to make one component per customer with a 2% chance of failure. The probability of filling all 100 orders without re-ordering new components is 98%. However, if the manufacturer stocks 102 components, the probability decreases to 0%. This can be represented by a binomial distribution function, but the exact equation used is unclear. The concept is similar to the probability of flipping a coin 100 times and getting no heads, or tossing a coin 102 times and getting less than 3 tails.
natethegreatX

Homework Statement

A manufacturer has 100 customers and needs to make one component per customer. However 2% of the components manufactured come out defective. The components can be assumed to be independent.

If the manufacturer stocks 100 components, what is the probability that the 100 orders can be filled without re-ordering new components?

If the manufacturer stocks 102 components, what is the probability that the 100 orders can be filled without re-ordering new components?

Homework Equations

Not sure, but possibly:

(n!)/(x!(n-x)!)*(p^x)(1-p)^(n-x)

p=probability of failure
n=number of tries
x=number of independent variable

The Attempt at a Solution

The only real problem I'm having is with this equation, the first question goes to 1, and the second goes to zero. I feel those arn't right at all. Wouldn't the first question end up 98%?
So I'm lost on if the binomial distribution function is even supposed to be used or if I just can't plug numers in a calc properly. Oh and this is my official first post on the forums.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please clarify that equation, what does it equal?

if you don't mind telling me the "section" of probability that this question is under, I'm sure I could find an answer for you.

okay what is the probability that a coin will be flipped 100 times, and there will be no heads. this is the same concept as the first question.

The second question is like, what is the probability that a coin is tossed 102 times, and there will be at least 100 heads. Or, in other words, what is the probability a coin is tossed and there are less than 3 tails.

I would approach this problem by using the binomial distribution function to calculate the probability of filling all 100 orders without re-ordering new components. The equation you provided is correct, but there are a few things that need to be clarified.

First, the probability of failure (p) should be 0.02, since 2% of the components are defective.

Second, the number of tries (n) should be 100, since there are 100 orders to be filled.

Third, the number of independent variables (x) should be 0, since we want to know the probability of filling all 100 orders without any failures.

Using these values, the equation would be:

P(x=0) = (100!)/(0!(100-0)!)*(0.02^0)(1-0.02)^(100-0) = (100!)*(0.98)^100 = 0.1326

Therefore, the probability of filling all 100 orders without any failures is approximately 13.26%.

For the second question, if the manufacturer stocks 102 components, the probability of filling all 100 orders without any failures would be:

P(x=0) = (102!)/(0!(102-0)!)*(0.02^0)(1-0.02)^(102-0) = (102!)*(0.98)^102 = 0

This means that there is a 0% chance of filling all 100 orders without any failures if the manufacturer only stocks 102 components.

In conclusion, the binomial distribution function can be used to calculate the probability of filling all 100 orders without re-ordering new components. However, it is important to ensure that the values for p, n, and x are correctly identified and plugged into the equation. In this case, the probability of success (filling an order without a defective component) is 98%, the number of orders is 100, and the number of successful orders (x) is 0.

1. What is the probability of filling 100 orders with defective components?

The probability of filling 100 orders with defective components depends on the probability of a component being defective and the total number of components needed for each order. It can be calculated using the binomial distribution formula: P(x) = nCx * p^x * q^(n-x), where n is the total number of trials (100 in this case), p is the probability of success (defective component), q is the probability of failure (non-defective component), and x is the number of successes (defective components) needed.

2. What factors can affect the probability of filling 100 orders with defective components?

The main factors that can affect the probability of filling 100 orders with defective components are the quality control measures in place, the reliability of the supplier, and the type of components being used. If the quality control measures are strict and the supplier is reliable, the probability of defective components will be lower.

3. How can the probability of filling 100 orders with defective components be minimized?

To minimize the probability of filling 100 orders with defective components, companies can implement thorough quality control measures, work with reliable suppliers, and use high-quality components. Regular inspections and testing can also help catch any defective components before they are used in orders.

4. Is there a way to calculate the exact probability of filling 100 orders with defective components?

Yes, the exact probability can be calculated using the binomial distribution formula mentioned above. However, it is important to note that this is a theoretical probability and the actual probability may differ due to various factors.

5. How does the probability of filling 100 orders with defective components impact a company's operations?

The probability of filling 100 orders with defective components can have a significant impact on a company's operations. If a high number of orders are filled with defective components, it can lead to delays, customer dissatisfaction, and potentially financial losses. It is important for companies to monitor and manage this probability to maintain a smooth and efficient operation.