1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability of girls sit together/ seperated

1. Jul 6, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Ten Students sit in a row. Find the probability of 6 boys and 4 girls can be arranged if (i) all girls are side by side?
    (ii) all girls are seperated by boys

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

my working for part i is 4!x7!=120960

for part ii, why cant i just take 10! -120960=3507840 ? the ans given is 604800

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2014 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Part (i) looks OK to me. (7 possible positions for the first girl, 6! ways to order the boys in the remaining positions). If you take 10! minus the result of part (i), what you find is just the number of ways to not have four girls in a row. This includes e.g. gggbgbbbbb which has three girls next to each other, but the problem is asking for arrangements like gbgbbgbgbb, where no two girls are next to each other.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  4. Jul 7, 2014 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Your question "Find the probability of 6 boys and 4 girls can be arranged" doesn't really make sense. From what you do, it appears that the question was really "Find the number of different ways 6 boys and 4 girls can be arranged".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted