1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability of MCQ

1. Mar 28, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This question isn't in a book, but I want to know the answer for myself.

Q. If I take an MCQ test with 40 questions, each question has 4 possible answers with only one being correct, what is the probability of getting 40/40 in the test by guessing?

I've tried solving this by doing (1/4)^40, but then I thought of doing 1/(160C40) and I got different answers. Why is that so and which is the correct way.

Q. If I am sure of 30 questions and unsure about 10 (have to guess them), what is the probability of getting above 30 in the test.(I don't lose marks for wrong answers)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2010 #2
    For the first question, (1/4)^40 is correct. Your other answer involving C(160,40) seems to assume you can select more than one answer to a single question.

For the second question, your score will be above 30 unless you miss all 10 questions you guess at. What's the probability of that?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook