1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability of measuring spin

1. Dec 27, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A spin-1 particle is placed in a constatn external B field
    with [itex] B_0 [/itex] in the x direction. the intial spin of the particle
    is spin up in the z direction.
    Take the spin Hamiltonian to be [itex] H=\omega_0 S_x [/itex]
    determine the probability that the particle is in the state |1,-1> at time t.
    3. The attempt at a solution
    Would I start with using the [itex] S_x [/itex] matrix in the z basis and then
    set this equal to spin 1 and then find the eigenvector for this equation and that
    will give me the amplitudes for spin-1, spin-0 and spin minus 1 and these will be amplitudes
    in the x basis then I will just time evovle that intial state.
    So I will have [itex] S_xQ=1Q [/itex]
    where Q is a generic column vector and 1 is the eigenvalue because we are
    spin up in the z direction. Or do I need everything in the x basis.
    But it seems like I first have to work in the z basis because we know it is spin up in the z direction.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

If you can express "spin in z-direction" in the basis of spin in x-direction, you don't have to work with a basis of z-spin.
    The basis is just a mathematical tool - you can choose any basis you like (even y-direction or weird linear combinations of those, but that would be impractical).

4. Dec 27, 2012 #3
    so i just need to write spin up in the z in the x basis.
    Im not really sure how to do that with spin-1.
    Do I use a rotation matrix.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook