Probability of molecular states and arrangement

In summary, the question asks for the calculation of the arrangement factor, W, for a given number of particles in energy levels, and the relationship between the arrangement factor and entropy is given by the equation S=k ln W.
bobey

Homework Statement

http://s825.photobucket.com/albums/zz175/bobey/?action=view&current=bbb.jpg"

The Attempt at a Solution

my attempt to the question is as follow :

W is the arrangement factor where N is the total number of states while n is the are the number of particles in energy state, Ei.

the relationship between between the entropy and the arrangement factor is
S=k ln W...

I really didn't understand the last part of the question... however, this is my attempt :
Since all the states are equiprobable to occur, the probability of the 1st level is 1/6 x 5 = 5/6 and the probability of the 5th level is 1/6 x 1 = 1/6 while the arrangement factor, W for the 1st level is (6 x 5 x 4 x 3 x 2)/5! = 6 and the arrangement factor, W for the 5th level is = 6!/1! = 720... is that means the probability for 1st level is 6/726 and the probability for the 5th level is 720/726? i get confuse with the earlier probability and the arrangement factor? what it has to be related with entropy? anyone can clarify it?

and the arrangement factor = probabalility iff all the molecules are at T = 0 which means S = 0... based on the example. probability = 1/6 x 6 = 1 and the arrangement factor, W = 6! / 6! = 1...

is my understanding towards the question is correct or I just misunderstanding it?
ANYONE CAN CLARIFY IT? PLZ3X

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello, as a scientist, I can help clarify your understanding of the question. The question is asking you to calculate the arrangement factor, W, for the given energy levels and particles. The arrangement factor is related to the probability of a certain energy state occurring, but it is not equal to the probability. The arrangement factor takes into account the number of ways the particles can be arranged in the given energy levels.

In your attempt, you correctly calculated the arrangement factor for the 1st and 5th energy levels. However, your calculation for the probabilities is incorrect. The probability of a certain energy level occurring is equal to the number of particles in that level divided by the total number of particles. So for the 1st level, the probability would be 5/6 and for the 5th level, it would be 1/6.

The relationship between entropy and the arrangement factor is given by the equation S=k ln W. This means that the entropy, S, is directly proportional to the natural logarithm of the arrangement factor, W. As the arrangement factor increases, the entropy also increases.

In this example, the arrangement factor is related to the probability of a certain energy state occurring at T=0. At this temperature, all the particles will be in the lowest energy state, so the arrangement factor will be equal to the probability. However, at higher temperatures, the particles will have a higher probability of occupying higher energy levels, so the arrangement factor will be different from the probability.

I hope this helps clarify your understanding of the question. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is the significance of the probability of molecular states and arrangement?

The probability of molecular states and arrangement is important because it helps us understand the likelihood of a molecule being in a certain state or arrangement. This can provide insight into the behavior and properties of the molecule, which can have practical applications in fields such as chemistry, biology, and material science.

2. How is the probability of molecular states and arrangement calculated?

The probability of molecular states and arrangement is calculated using principles of statistical mechanics and quantum mechanics. These calculations take into account factors such as the energy levels and interactions between molecules, as well as the temperature and pressure of the system.

3. What factors can affect the probability of molecular states and arrangement?

The probability of molecular states and arrangement can be influenced by various factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of other molecules. Changes in these conditions can alter the energy levels and interactions between molecules, leading to different probabilities of states and arrangements.

4. How does the probability of molecular states and arrangement relate to entropy?

The probability of molecular states and arrangement is directly related to entropy, which is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. As the probability of states and arrangements increases, so does the entropy of the system. This means that as the system becomes more disordered, the probability of molecules being in certain states or arrangements also increases.

5. Can the probability of molecular states and arrangement be experimentally determined?

Yes, the probability of molecular states and arrangement can be experimentally determined through techniques such as X-ray crystallography, nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy, and molecular modeling. These methods allow scientists to observe and analyze the spatial arrangement of molecules in a sample, providing information about their probabilities of being in certain states.