Probability of occupancy in energy level as T->0 or inf.

This can be calculated using Boltzmann statistics, where the probability for each energy level is given by the Boltzmann factor (1/kT)exp[-E/kT]. This results in the same probability for both energy levels e and 2e, as they have the same energy difference.
indie452
an atom has 3 non-degenerate E levels, = 0, e, 2e

What is the prob of occupancy of each energy level as T-> zero and infinty and why?

for E=0
I imagine that the prob for T->0, is 1 is one or approaching one as as the temp approaches absolute zero electrons occupy the lowest state
as T->infinity, i thought at first that the prob would approach zero as i would think everything would be more likely to occupy higher levels.

but then i think i read somewhere that as T->inf. the prob for each level is equal.

for the others i thought to use Boltzmann

so for E=e...prob = (1/kT)exp[-e/kT]
E=2e...prob = (1/2kT)exp[-2e/kT]

but wouldn't this give the same answers?

Physics news on Phys.org
For T->0, the probability of occupancy of each energy level is 1. This is because at absolute zero, all electrons occupy the lowest energy level due to the Pauli exclusion principle. For T->infinity, the probability of occupancy of each energy level is equal. This is because at infinite temperature, all energy levels become equally populated and thus the probability of occupancy is the same for each energy level.

1. What is the probability of occupancy in an energy level at absolute zero temperature?

At absolute zero temperature, the probability of occupancy in an energy level is zero. This is because at absolute zero, all particles are in their lowest energy state and there is no thermal energy available for them to occupy higher energy levels.

2. How does the probability of occupancy change as temperature increases towards infinity?

As temperature approaches infinity, the probability of occupancy in an energy level approaches 1. This is because at higher temperatures, thermal energy is available for particles to occupy higher energy levels, resulting in a higher probability of occupancy in those levels.

3. Does the probability of occupancy in an energy level depend on the number of particles present?

Yes, the probability of occupancy in an energy level is directly proportional to the number of particles present. This means that as the number of particles increases, the probability of occupancy in an energy level also increases.

4. How does the probability of occupancy in an energy level relate to the Boltzmann distribution?

The probability of occupancy in an energy level is directly related to the Boltzmann distribution. The Boltzmann distribution describes the distribution of particle energies at a given temperature, and the probability of occupancy in an energy level is determined by the relative energy of that level compared to the average energy of all particles in the system.

5. Is there a maximum probability of occupancy in an energy level?

No, there is no maximum probability of occupancy in an energy level. As long as thermal energy is available, particles can continue to occupy higher energy levels with a non-zero probability. However, at absolute zero temperature, the probability of occupancy in all energy levels is zero.