1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability of some state for oscillator

1. Dec 26, 2008 #1

LMZ

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    having a math oscillator, with
    [tex]\varphi(t) = \varphi_0 cos(\frac{2 \pi}{T})t[/tex]
    [tex]T=2 \pi \sqrt{\frac{l}{g}}[/tex]

find the probability to find [tex]\varphi[/tex] in interval [tex][\varphi, \varphi + d\varphi][/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liouville's_theorem_(Hamiltonian)

3. The attempt at a solution
    [tex]dw=\int \rho dp d \varphi[/tex]

trying using liuville theorem:
    [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial \varphi}(\rho \dot{\varphi}}) + \frac{\partial}{\partial p}(\rho \dot{p}) = 0[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial \varphi} \dot{\varphi}+\rho \frac{\partial \dot{\varphi}}{\partial \varphi} + \frac{\partial \rho}{\partial p} \dot{p}+\rho \frac{\partial \dot{p}}{\partial p} = 0[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{\partial \dot{\varphi}}{\partial \varphi} = 0; \frac{\partial \dot{p}}{\partial p} = m r(sin(\varphi)-cos(\varphi))[/tex]
    [tex]\rho = \frac{2 \frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t}}{m r(sin(\varphi)-cos(\varphi))}[/tex]

don't know if I'm right till now. Next I think to introduce probability density (rho) in integral for probability (dw), and don't know how to integrate.

thanks for your time, I appreciate this!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?