1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability Physics question. I don't exactly know which book to use as reference.

1. Sep 29, 2011 #1
    Here's one of the question to my problem set:

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two drunks start out together at the origin, each having equal probability of making a step to the left or right along the x-axis. Find the probability that they will meet after N-steps. It is to be understood that the men make their steps simultaneously. (It may be helpful to consider their relative motion.)

2. Relevant equations

I don't know much about the related equation because we have no reference for this particular subject.

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: Probability Physics question. I don't exactly know which book to use as reference

I'm not sure why you would need a specific book or equation. Just "reason" it out. If the two people, lets call them "A" and "B", where A is to the right of B, are distance x apart at time t, then there are four equally likely things that can happen:
    A and B both move to the right- the distance between them does not change- it is still x.
    A and B both move to the left- the distance between them does not change.
    A moves to the right and B moves to the left- the distance between them increases, it is x+2.
    A moves to the left and B moves to the right- the distance between them decreases, it is x- 2.

You should be able to find the probabililty distribution for x and so find the probability that it is, at some future time, 0.

4. Sep 29, 2011 #3
    Re: Probability Physics question. I don't exactly know which book to use as reference

The reason I need a textbook for probability (physics) because there are a lot harder questions than this. But anyway thanks for the reply. I'll start working on it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook