How do I find the constant 'c' in this probability problem?

• Thread starter Mathman23
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the conversation is about a probability problem involving a two-dimensional discrete stochastic vector and its probability function. The support for the function is given, as well as the probability functions for X and Y. The conversation also includes a discussion about showing that Y is equal to a certain distribution and how to find the constant 'c' and solve for a specific value of lambda. The conversation ends with a question asking for help with solving parts (c) and (d) of the problem.
Mathman23
Hi Guys,
I have this probability Problem where I have become stuck, therefore I pray that there is somebody in here who can give me some advice :)
It goes a something like that:
The two dimensional discrete Stochastic vector (X,Y) has the probability function [tex]P_{X,Y}[/tex] which is
[tex]P(X=x,Y=y) = \left\{ \begin{array}{ll}\frac{{c e^{- \lambda}{\lambda ^{y}}}}{{y!}} & \textrm{where} \ x \in (-2,-1,0,1) \ \textrm{and} \ \ y \in (0,1,\ldots)&\\0 & \textrm{other.}&\\\end{array} \right.[/tex]
where [tex]\lambda > 0[/tex] and c > 0
(a) The support supp P_{X,Y} = {-2,-1,0,1, \ldots}
(b)
The Probability functions [tex]P_X[/tex] and [tex]P_Y[/tex] for X and Y are
[tex]P(X=x) = \left\{ \begin{array}{ll}c & \textrm{where} \ x \in (-2,-1,0,1) \\0 & \textrm{other.}&\\\end{array} \right.[/tex]
[tex]P(Y=y) = \left\{ \begin{array}{ll}\frac{{c e^{- \lambda}{\lambda ^{y}}}}{{y!}} & \textrm{and} \ \ y \in (0,1,\ldots)&\\0 & \textrm{other.}&\\\end{array} \right.[/tex]

This is done by showing that [tex]Y \ \~{} pol(\lambda)[/tex],

[tex]\sum_{y=0} ^{\infty} \frac{{e^{- \lambda}{\lambda ^{y}}}}{{y!}} =\sum_{y=1} ^{\infty} \frac{{ e^{- \lambda}{\lambda ^{y}}}}{{y-1!}} = \lambda \sum_{y=1} ^{\infty} \frac{{ e^{- \lambda}{\lambda ^{(y-1)}}}}{{(y-1)!}} =
\lambda \sum_{v=0} ^{\infty} \frac{{ e^{- \lambda}{\lambda ^{(v)}}}}{{(v)!}} = \lambda[/tex]
where v = (y-1)
I have two question
(c) I need to find the constant 'c'. How do I go about doing that?
(d)
If [tex]\lambda = 1[/tex], then [tex]P(X=Y) = 1/2 e^ -1[/tex]. Any hits on how I show that ?
Sincerely and God bless You
Fred

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is this homework?

Yes,

I there is somebody out there who culd please give me a hit on how to solve question (c) and (d)??

Many thanks in advance and God bless You :)

/Fred

EnumaElish said:
Is this homework?

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=88064

I need to find the constant 'c'. How do I go about doing that?
Where are we starting from? Have you thought about this at all?

What is a probability problem?

A probability problem is a mathematical question that involves determining the likelihood of a certain event or outcome occurring.

How is probability measured?

Probability is typically measured as a value between 0 and 1, with 0 representing impossible events and 1 representing certain events. It can also be expressed as a percentage or fraction.

What are the different types of probability?

The three main types of probability are theoretical, experimental, and subjective. Theoretical probability is based on mathematical principles, experimental probability is based on actual data, and subjective probability is based on personal beliefs or opinions.

How do you calculate probability?

To calculate probability, you divide the number of desired outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This is known as the probability ratio or the probability formula: P(A) = # of desired outcomes / # of possible outcomes.

What are some common techniques for solving probability problems?

Some common techniques for solving probability problems include using probability trees, Venn diagrams, and counting techniques such as permutations and combinations. You can also use algebraic equations and formulas to solve more complex problems.